Front-end standards group
Project / workboard
Much of this group's work is in the Phabricator Front-end standards workboard.
If you like to raise attention about a specific topic to a forthcoming meeting, please add it to the group's Etherpad.
For general questions around the group's activities please contact Volker Eckl <email@example.com>.
Note: For name differences see Phab project creation rules. With spaces or underscores, the project cannot be mentioned in Markdown.
Responsible for planning and implementing the software being standardized on.
- Andrew Russel Green (Fundraising Tech)
- Bartosz Dziewoński (Contributors > Editing)
- Corey Floyd (Readers > Web)
- Ed Sanders (Contributors > Editing)
- Jan Drewniak (Readers)
- Joaquin Oltra Hernandez (Readers > Web)
- Jon Robson (Readers > Web)
- Moriel Schottlender (Contributors > Collaboration)
- Prateek Saxena (Contributors > Design)
- Roan Kattouw (Contributors > Collaboration)
- Santhosh Thottingal (Contributors > Language)
- Timo Tijhof (Performance)
- Volker Eckl (Contributors > UI Standardization)
Responsible for providing additional oversight during planning and implementation.
- James Forrester (Contributors)
- Brion Vibber (MediaWiki)
- Derk-Jan Hartman (Community)
- Florian Schmidt-Welzow (Community)
Brought in as needed to share knowledge of specific features and systems.
- Collaboration: Matt Flaschen
- Design: Pau Giner
- Mobile Apps: Monte Hurd
- Community skin authors
Meetings are held every two weeks, alternating between
- 08:30am to 08:50am (on demand) and
- 11:00am to 11:50am on Wednesdays (Pacific Time)
- Develop, improve and document libraries and features to standardize on. See the roadmap for more details.
- Use standard libraries throughout Wikimedia software projects, and support other projects in doing the same.
- Share technologies and techniques between all projects
Previous meetings (Archive)
- 2017-09-13 – Optimize SVGs in data URIs
- 2017-08-23 – Page actions should use semantic
a; Define language CSS rules in a common module shared by all skins; Evaluate `touch-action: manipulation;`
2017-08-09– Not held because of Wikimania Montréal
- 2017-07-26 – Conversation about modulating early edition meeting
2017-07-11– Cancelled due to missing topics/low attendance
- 2017-06-28 – Need for modularization of OOjs UI in context of vue.js/preact; Review of WMDE experience on using vue.js
- 2017-06-14 – jsdoc, possible successors
- 2017-04-26 – jsduck alternatives; how to integrate frameworks with OOjs UI or how to integrate OOjs UI into frameworks
- 2017-04-12 – Make it impossible to ship unoptimized SVGs; How to bring WikimediaUI Base to core; jsduck alternative
- 2017-03-08 – Replacement of
OO.mfExtend; Hamburgers on UC Mini; Module RFC
- 2017-02-22 – Wikidata's next UI library?
- 2017-02-08 – Log modules enqueued with invalid module target; Group workboard's inbox cleanup
- 2017-01-25 – Static Site (Generators) and TranslateWiki?
- 2016-10-26 –
- 2016-10-12 – Participate in finding stylelint rules for wikimedia-config-stylelint; OOjs UI Widgets apply
box-sizing: border-boxas general rule?; Moment.js in core?
- 2016-09-21 – Discourage use of various front-end ResourceLoader JS modules; Service-Worker based prototype
- 2016-09-14 – Is WikimediaUI Base useful/wanted to be brought to core; Service-Worker based prototype
- 2016-08-10 – ResourceLoader: Support loading of messages in parsed formats; Replace jsduck in favor of a better maintained alternative (jsdoc); Start deprecation process to discourage use of various frontend ResourceLoader JS modules.
- 2016-07-27 – stylelint: rule
number-leading-zerofrom blacklist in MobileFrontend
- 2016-07-13 – Dismantle ResourceLoader's "targets" system (JR); Make more obvious to engineers which ResourceLoader modules are deprecated;
2016-06-29– Not held because of Wikimania Esino Lario