Front-end standards group
Project / workboard
Members of the Front-end Standards Group surface front-end development topics from their respective Foundation teams or parts of the organization to the overarching group in order to find common solutions. Much of this group's work is in the Phabricator Front-end standards workboard.
If you like to raise attention about a specific topic to a forthcoming meeting, please add it to the group's Etherpad.
For general questions around the group's activities please contact Volker Eckl <email@example.com>.
Note: For name differences see Phab project creation rules. With spaces or underscores, the project cannot be mentioned in Markdown.
- Develop, improve and document libraries and features to standardize on. See the roadmap for more details.
- Use standard libraries throughout Wikimedia software projects, and support other projects in doing the same.
- Share technologies and techniques between all projects
Meetings are held every two weeks, alternating between
- 08:30am to 08:50am (on demand) and
- 11:00am to 11:50am on Wednesdays (Pacific Time)
Responsible for planning and implementing the software being standardized on.
- Andrew Russel Green (Fundraising Tech)
- Bartosz Dziewoński (Contributors > Editing)
- Corey Floyd (Readers > Web)
- Ed Sanders (Contributors > Editing)
- Jan Drewniak (Readers)
- Joaquin Oltra Hernandez (Readers > Web)
- Jon Robson (Readers > Web)
- Moriel Schottlender (Contributors > Collaboration)
- Prateek Saxena (Contributors > Design)
- Roan Kattouw (Contributors > Collaboration)
- Santhosh Thottingal (Contributors > Language)
- Timo Tijhof (Performance)
- Volker Eckl (Contributors > UI Standardization)
Responsible for providing additional oversight during planning and implementation.
- James Forrester (Contributors)
- Brion Vibber (MediaWiki)
- Derk-Jan Hartman (Community)
- Florian Schmidt-Welzow (Community)
Brought in as needed to share knowledge of specific features and systems.
- Design: Pau Giner
- Mobile Apps: Monte Hurd
- Community skin authors
Previous meetings (Archive)
- 2018-01-10 – Replace jsduck with JSDoc (implementation plan); Avoid or minimise impact of "unready" Grade A state; Success: Optimize SVG in data URIs
- 2017-12-13 – Reactivating discussion on jsduck alternative; Introduction of newly established SVG coding conventions
2017-11-22– not held as no urgent topics
- 2017-11-08 – Which tags in MediaWiki should be styled as monospace?; Follow-up: Create an abstraction for the message box components (warningbox, errorbox etc)
2017-10-11– not held as no urgent topics
- 2017-09-27 – VisualEditor: Implement some form of auto-save; Create an abstraction for the message box components (warningbox, errorbox etc); Measure dwell-time impact of `touch-action: manipulation;`
- 2017-09-13 – Optimize SVGs in data URIs
- 2017-08-23 – Page actions should use semantic
a; Define language CSS rules in a common module shared by all skins; Evaluate `touch-action: manipulation;`
2017-08-09– Not held because of Wikimania Montréal
- 2017-07-26 – Conversation about modulating early edition meeting
2017-07-11– Cancelled due to missing topics/low attendance
- 2017-06-28 – Need for modularization of OOUI in context of vue.js/preact; Review of WMDE experience on using vue.js
- 2017-06-14 – jsdoc, possible successors
- 2017-04-26 – jsduck alternatives; how to integrate frameworks with OOUI or how to integrate OOUI into frameworks
- 2017-04-12 – Make it impossible to ship unoptimized SVGs; How to bring WikimediaUI Base to core; jsduck alternative
- 2017-03-08 – Replacement of
OO.mfExtend; Hamburgers on UC Mini; Module RFC
- 2017-02-22 – Wikidata's next UI library?
- 2017-02-08 – Log modules enqueued with invalid module target; Group workboard's inbox cleanup
- 2017-01-25 – Static Site (Generators) and TranslateWiki?
- 2016-10-26 –
- 2016-10-12 – Participate in finding stylelint rules for wikimedia-config-stylelint; OOUI Widgets apply
box-sizing: border-boxas general rule?; Moment.js in core?
- 2016-09-21 – Discourage use of various front-end ResourceLoader JS modules; Service-Worker based prototype
- 2016-09-14 – Is WikimediaUI Base useful/wanted to be brought to core; Service-Worker based prototype
- 2016-08-10 – ResourceLoader: Support loading of messages in parsed formats; Replace jsduck in favor of a better maintained alternative (jsdoc); Start deprecation process to discourage use of various frontend ResourceLoader JS modules.
- 2016-07-27 – stylelint: rule
number-leading-zerofrom blacklist in MobileFrontend
- 2016-07-13 – Dismantle ResourceLoader's "targets" system (JR); Make more obvious to engineers which ResourceLoader modules are deprecated;
2016-06-29– Not held because of Wikimania Esino Lario