Front-end standards group/2015-11-04
- VE: Success! :) From here on it's taking place on Wednesdays bi-weekly from 8am - 8:50am PDT
Opening-up meeting to more community members:
- VE: Reached out to Florian and to Santhosh from Language Engineering team to join, also updated the MediaWiki page to reflect recent changes.
Also invited RobLa
Workboards improvement for visibility?
- A new workboard has been created: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/board/1616/
- Open for inputs on how to structure and what to populate there.
Separation between this group and UI standardization group?
- Last week decided, that separation useful, workboard as begin on phabricator level
RobLa: Developer summit and front-end topics
- TP: Defining the roles of the two groups, what differs them and how to inter-operate
- TT: This group does not see itself outside of RFC process, but coming up with solutions, where people in FE std group can stand together on for upcoming RFCs.
Action & Code
Less and future CSS vars naming https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual_talk:Coding_conventions/CSS#Less_and_future_CSS_variable_naming_convention (VE)
- VE: Still awaiting feedback from you guys if we can as a group agree on one of the proposals.
- BD/JR: "VE JDI" :)
Have a standard way of doing hash fragment routing in MediaWiki 
- JR: using Window manager?
- performance issues when used mw wide
- JR: not used for key interfaces; the other benefit of this is that it encourages is defer loading code.
- AG: for modals ok
Better JS minification? (RK, JR) - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T49437
- Max Semenik proposed usage of UglifyJS a while ago, but there were some concerns around performance and reliability. Nowadays after the reorg, the performance team is doing a great job of owning ResourceLoader, so we should talk to Timo and Ori about this
- TT: we would need a way to communicate with that Minifier in a low-latency way.
- TT: caching issues
- TT: stalled for now
usage of jquery.tipsy and alternatives (Ori)
- We have to make clear if jquery.tipsy is used or if it's forks and where it's still used
- https://github.com/wikimedia/jquery-tipsy - https://github.com/jaz303/tipsy - https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki/tree/master/resources/src/jquery.tipsy
- Filed tracking bug https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T117720
OOUI Forms - Status?
- implements most of the existing HTMLForm fields, you just need to pass "ooui" to the constructor to use it
- -> that doesn't work, if the form inherits directly from SpecialPage and not from FormSpecialPage or/and does not use HTMLForm directly (some special pages use HTMLForm directly), but converting plain HTML to OOUI shouldn't be that big problem, too, it "just" takes a bit longer
- --> Done, see https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T107037
- ~10 Special Pages done
- Missing special pages should have a phabricator task blocking https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T107037, to see how many pages needs to be converted (I'll take a look on it)
Postponed to next meeting
We should switch to BlueJeans for capacity reasons (TP)
- Andrew (AG)
- Bartosz (BD)
- Ed (ES)
- Florian (FS)
- Jan (JB)
- Jon (JR)
- Julien (JG)
- Nirzar (NP)
- Prateek (PS)
- Roan (RK)
- Rob (RL)
- Trevor (TP)
- Timo (TT)
- Volker (VE)