Release status: stable
|Description||Allows for expansion and collapsing of the table of contents|
|Latest version||1.12.0 (Continuous updates)|
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
|Translate the TocTree extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
|Check usage and version matrix.|
|Issues||Open tasks · Report a bug|
The TocTree extension allows for initial expansion and collapsing of the table of contents.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
wfLoadExtension( 'TocTree' );
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
To users running MediaWiki 1.24 or earlier:
The instructions above describe the new way of installing this extension using
wfLoadExtension(). If you need to install this extension on these earlier versions (MediaWiki 1.24 and earlier), instead of
wfLoadExtension( 'TocTree' );, you need to use:
The PHP script will add two new options to the user preferences. They were added to the Misc section:
- Floated table of contents
- Expand table of contents
Defaults are collapsed but not floated tocs. You can overwrite the default values by setting true in your LocalSettings.php file:
$wgDefaultUserOptions['toc-floated'] = false; $wgDefaultUserOptions['toc-expand'] = false;
Prevention of TOC floating
The author has the opportunity to prevent floating of the TOC set by the user(s) by using a
div tag with the style class
noFloat enclosing the TOC.
There are the well-known problems of floated boxes like:
- Missing list bullets
- Design problems of narrow TOCs and positioning problems with text and wide right-floated boxes.
- Bidi support (right-to-left writing direction) implemented but not yet tested (for instance needed for Hebrew and Arabic).
- Support of only the MonoBook and Vector skins.
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|