Release status: stable
|Implementation||User interface, MyWiki|
|Description||Adds a link to user's personal sandbox to personal tools menu|
|Author(s)||Bartosz Dziewoński (Matma Rextalk)|
|Compatibility policy||release branches|
Translate the SandboxLink extension if it is available at translatewiki.net
|Check usage and version matrix.|
|Open tasks · Report a bug|
The SandboxLink extension adds a link to user's personal sandbox to personal tools menu. The sandbox is assumed to exist, or will be created, at a "/sandbox" subpage of user's userpage.
The main disadvantages of the gadget are performance and mis-clicks: Because the snippet only loads after everything else is rendered, it causes a distracting "movement" in the personal bar. This also leads to many mis-clicks, when an editor tries to visit their userpage or usertalkpage, and those links moved just before the click. The extension also accurately reflects the existence of the page (redlink, vs always-a-bluelink in the gadget) which will be useful for bringing it to the attention of newcomers. The extension also keeps the link available on restricted special pages (special:preferences and special:userlogin).
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
wfLoadExtension( 'SandboxLink' );
- Done - Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
To users running MediaWiki 1.24 or earlier:
The instructions above describe the new way of installing this extension using
wfLoadExtension() If you need to install this extension on these earlier versions (MediaWiki 1.24 and earlier), instead of
wfLoadExtension( 'SandboxLink' );, you need to use:
This extension provides one configuration option:
- Whether to disable the functionality for anonymous users.
The sandbox link generated by this extension can be tweaked by modifying some system messages.
- (Default in English: "sandbox", varies per language)
- The name of user's subpage where the sandbox should be created. By default, the page used will be "User:Example/sandbox".
- Set this message to '-' to remove the sandbox link for all users.
- The value in wiki's content language will always be used, regardless of user's chosen language. If you're running a multilingual wiki, this can be overridden with the
$wgForceUIMsgAsContentMsgMediaWiki configuration setting.
- (Default in English: "Sandbox", varies per language)
- The label of the link in the user's personal toolbar.
- (Default in English: "Your sandbox", varies per language)
- The text contained in the "title" attribute of the link to the sandbox. This text is displayed when the user hovers their mouse over the link.
- (Default: '-')
- When the sandbox page doesn't exist, the page title to use for the 'editintro' and 'preload' parameters of the link. See Manual:Parameters to index.php#Options affecting the edit form. Not enabled by default.
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|