Release status: stable
|Implementation||Special page, Database, ContentHandler|
|Description||Provides a framework for logging analytics events|
|Latest version||continuous updates|
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
|Translate the EventLogging extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
The EventLogging extension makes it possible to collect structured data on how users interact with MediaWiki sites.
- Logging behavior can be dynamically configured using Extension:EventStreamConfig.
- The events are JSON objects defined by versioned JSONSchemas stored in a schema git repository.
- The extension does not include any back-end code for transporting, parsing, or loading these events. A separate service, EventGate, implements this functionality and deals with inserting events into Kafka. Events are then persisted in downstream datastores (e.g. Hive) via various ingestion pipelines. The details of these components are specific to Wikimedia Foundation's configuration.
EventLogging at Wikimedia
This page is about general use of the EventLogging extension. The Wikimedia Foundation uses EventLogging with WMF specific backend components and schema repositories. For Wikimedia specific and maintained documentation, see wikitech:Analytics/Systems/EventLogging and wikitech:Event Platform.
Logging events using EventLogging
- Extension:EventLogging/Guide - to developing and deploying EventLogging schemas, and more
- Extension:EventLogging/Programming - tips and suggestions for developers writing code to log events
Developing the EventLogging extension
As a developer, you will want to set up and use EventLogging on your development wiki to simulate its use in production.
If you develop using mediawiki-vagrant, everything you need is encapsulated in the
eventlogging role. To enable it, run:
$ vagrant roles enable eventlogging $ vagrant provision
npm install from the folder you're developing in. Then you can use
How to run tests
To run PHP tests, we use PHPUnit. Make sure it is installed, then:
$ vagrant ssh vagrant@mediawiki-vagrant:/vagrant/mediawiki/extensions/EventLogging/tests$ php /vagrant/mediawiki/tests/phpunit/phpunit.php EventLoggingExtensionFunctionsTest.php