Release status: stable
|Description||Send textual diffs of page changes inside the notification emails|
|Author(s)||Greg Sabino Mullane (Turnsteptalk)|
|Latest version||1.9 (2017-11-14)|
|Translate the EmailDiff extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
The EmailDiff extension modifies outgoing notification emails by providing a text diff of all changes made. This enables you to see the changes without having to leave your mail client.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php: A new hook will need to be added to the file
wfLoadExtension( 'EmailDiff' );
includes/mail/EmailNotification.php. Inside the function
sendPersonalized, right before the "return" line, add:
Hooks::run( 'SendPersonalizedNotificationEmail', [ $watchingUser, $this->oldid, $this->title, &$headers, &$this->subject, &$body ] );
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
Edit the template
The extension works by replacing the word $PAGEDIFF in the email notification template with the actual diff. Therefore, you will need to edit the MediaWiki:Enotif_body page on your wiki to add that string. It is recommended that you put some short summary information at the top before the diff. Here is one suggested layout:
Page: $PAGETITLE Summary: $PAGESUMMARY $PAGEMINOREDIT User: $PAGEEDITOR Time: $PAGEEDITDATE $PAGEDIFF $NEWPAGE
Activate for users
Preferences -> User profile add a tick in
Send a diff of changes
Or activate the extension for all users in LocalSettings.php by adding:
$wgDefaultUserOptions['enotifshowdiff'] = true;
If you need to change these, add them to your LocalSettings.php after the wfLoadExtension command above:
- String to be added to the end of the subject line. Defaults to (diff)
- Command to perform the diff. Seldom needs to be changed from the default.