Release status: stable
|Implementation||Database, Data extraction, Special page|
|Description||Adds special pages to view and assigning the counting markers|
|Latest version||0.3.7 (2021-04-04)|
countingmarker_admin, countingmarker_assign, countingmarker_import, countingmarker_report, countingmarker_save, countingmarker_statistic
Anyone who is a member of the Verwertungsgesellschaft Wort (Copyright collective) and operates a wiki faces several problems when they want to participate in the METIS programme, i.e. registering their online texts for monetization.
METIS stands for „Meldesystem für Texte auf Internetseiten“ (“Reporting System for Texts on Internet Pages”). VG Wort requires a minimum length of the texts as well as a minimum number of article views (“hits”), which must be proven by the installation of “counting pixels” on the article page. For the installation of these pixels you can order “counting markers” from VG Wort, each of which consists of a set of public and private keys and a URL to a counting pixel on a VG Wort server.
A snippet of HTML code on how to include this counter in an HTML page is included. For web pages from the 1980s, which consisted of self-made HTML pages, it is a simple matter to insert this HTML code via copy and paste into the HTML code of the page. But how can these counters be integrated into modern content management systems, which in a very complex way assemble the pages finally delivered to the reader from database queries, templates and skins?
This task, as well as the administration of the counter marks, the assignment of the counter marks to the articles and the annual report to VG Wort are part of the functional scope of this enhancement.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
wfLoadExtension( 'CountingMarker' );
- Run the update script which will automatically create the necessary database tables that this extension needs.
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
Since MediaWiki 1.25 the extension HitCounters should be installed to use the full range of functions. However, there is a basic version in which the HitCounters extension is not required.
The extension was tested with MediaWiki 1.23, 1.25, 1.27, 1.31, 1.33, 1.35.
The extension is provided in "de", "en", "es".
- Version 0.2.0
- MediaWiki v1.23-1.33
- First public release
- Version 0.3.x
- MediaWiki v1.25+
- Remove compatibility stuff for MediaWiki before v1.25.
- Version 0.2.2/0.3.2
- Export function for the annual report added.
- Version 0.2.3/0.3.3
- Multi-author support added und user groups with individual rights defined.
- Version 0.2.4/0.3.4
- Stuff around lazy loading and the code-snippet of the counting marker.
- Version 0.2.5/0.3.5
- Compatibility stuff for MediaWiki v1.35.
- The entry Number of articles can be corrected in the MediaWiki database.
- Version 0.2.6/0.3.6
- MediaWiki v1.25+ (v1.23+)
- add Hook SkinBuildSidebar
- Version 0.3.7
- MediaWiki v1.35+
- add Hook SkinAddFooterLinks, remove Hook SkinTemplateOutputPageBeforeExec
There are minor issues, for example the sum of the hits of all articles in v1.25 and v1.27 is displayed incorrectly. However, since this only affects additional statistical information, which does not affect functionality, this is not a problem.
If you run a Wiki family and manage the extensions centrally (via soft links), you have the problem that the Maintenance scripts of this extension are not found.
Currently, to solve this problem, these maintenance scripts can be copy & paste into the
maintenance folders of the MediaWiki installations.
Version 0.2.0+ is fully backwards compatible with MediaWiki 1.25, and with the exception of a helping function even compatible with MediaWiki 1.23.
- Installed on a demo page: vgwort.wikimannia.org
- Download MediaWiki patches: webarchiv.wikimannia.org/mediawiki/patches/
- The patches apply to the export functions of the MediaWiki core.
- Description (with screenshots):