Events/Wikimedia Mapping Event 2013
During Open Source Days 2013 in Copenhagen on March 9 and 10, we will have a hacking session dedicated to bringing OpenStreetMaps to Wikipedia.
Have horizontally scaled tile servers roughly working on labs within two weeks after the OSM event, as an important step towards a deployment to the WMF cluster.
- Etherpad: m:Mobile team/Mobile web/Etherpad/WMF OSM Hack Session 2013
- IRC: #osm-wmf-hacksession
- Running an OSM copy on Wikimedia cluster (hacking)
- Access to WMF project database replicas on WMF Labs
- Making OSM more scalable (hacking)
- OSM maps localization (discussion)
- OSM migration from toolserver to WMF labs; currently servering OSM and WM communities (discussion)
- Add more topics!
Important services inside Wikipedia
- Geohack  (70% of the users use this / not directly related with OSM)
- OSM default style (redundant to OSM)
- OSM default style from OSM.org (as fallback)
- Hikebike (very popular service from toolserver , 70% requested tiles are going to this style. Based on OSM. Runs in the moment on Mapnik 0.7. Performance?)
- Public Transport (external service. Nice but perhaps not so important. Based on OSM. )
- Satellite (external service from http://opengeoserver.org/ . Sponsort by Wikimedia Germany. Nice, but need in my eyes a wider base. Original planed a sources for OSM mappers.)
- Germany Style (alternative colors. Not so important. Redundant with osm.de.)
- Wikipedia-World (Wikipedia-POIs as KML generated by PostGIS/PHP, 4 database tables for data reduction at lower zoomlevels. Lot of additional features. Updated all 2-3 months.)
- WIWOSM (To produce this geoJSON files we need access to OSM database and for interwikilinks to Wikipedia/Wikidata DB. Updated each night. Update need 3h.)
- hillshading (Static tiles, rendering need many weeks. coverage only ~70% of the world, but als oceans.)
- We have brute-force multilingual maps as transparent layer on toolserver (activated in ru.wp) but I would prefer to use the new system from Jopchen Topf .
- OSM-no-label we will need this layer also as base layer for future multilingualmaps.
- Tiles (OSM, different other sources)
- Other solar system bodies (NASA satellite imagery)
- Client-side rendered JSON tiles (OSM)
- Wikipedia POIs (render labels in all languages so doesn't need multilingual map)
- Embedded KML data from Wikipedia articles (en:Template:Attached KML)
- 3D Buildings
- Merger of OSM Gadget (O) and WikiMiniAtlas (W)
- WIWOSM (O/W)
- OSM default style (O)
- Low contrast base style (W)
- Icon markers (O)
- Text labels (W)
- Multilingual map, default style no-labels + overlays
- Extra styles (W)
- Satellite (O:OpenGeoserver,W:LANDSAT) (O)
- Hillshading (O)
- 3D Buildings (W)
- Thumbnails Commons (W)
- List articles (W)
- Size comparison (W)
- Embedded frame (O) and Floating frame (W)
We have also other tools for OSM on Toolserver so we need a place on WikimediaLabs. From the different styles seems the black&white style the most important style for external usage.
Ideas for new services
- re-design OSM-Gadget to make it cleaner, faster, nicer. But for this we need to know how people use our service and what they like.
- Retina-style for display of modern smartphones it would be nice to scale everything by factor 2. Also important to make some labels in Asia better readable.
- Vector layers and 3D-vector data
- perhaps longrunning cronjobs with OSM data on WMlabs
- Overlay like WIWOSM but independent from OSM for things that are onle interessting for Wikipedia
- HistoricOSM as overlay
- WikiDATA-stuff with geodata
Under the threat of conference Wi-Fi, please make sure that you already have this stuff checked out:
- Main OSM repo (SVN): http://svn.openstreetmap.org
- For those who prefer Git, there is also a mirror that covers most of the relevant projects: https://github.com/openstreetmap
- WMF puppet repository (Git): ssh://<username>@gerrit.wikimedia.org:29418/operations/puppet.git or, if you don't have an account, https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/operations/puppet
- WikiMiniAtlas repo :-) https://github.com/dschwen/wikiminiatlas