Architecture meetings/RFC review 2014-04-09

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

22:00 UTC, April 9th, at #wikimedia-officeconnect. This 50-minute meeting covered brief "what's the next step?" updates regarding several RfCs.

Requests for Comment to review[edit]

  1. Requests for comment/UserMailer refactor
  2. Requests for comment/Nonlinear versioning
  3. Requests for comment/AuthStack
  4. Requests for comment/Abstract table definitions
  5. Requests for comment/Support for user-specific page lists in core

Summary and logs[edit]

Meeting summary[edit]

  • LINK: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_meetings/RFC_review_2014-04-09 (sumanah, 22:00:38)
  • Today is a 40-minute meeting (sumanah, 22:00:43)
  • we're asking "is this still valid? what are next steps?" on UserMailer refactor, Nonlinear versioning, Authstack, Abstract table definitions, & support for user-specific page lists in core (sumanah, 22:00:43)
  • UserMailer refactor (sumanah, 22:01:20)
    • LINK: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/UserMailer_refactor by Owen Davis (sumanah, 22:01:25)
    • Owen Davis last updated this in late 2013 and hasn't gotten any feedback. (sumanah, 22:01:35)
    • Any objection to moving forward? (sumanah, 22:01:35)
    • <brion> my main question about the usermailer refactor is whether the echo stuff duplicates/changes the email landscape (sumanah, 22:02:01)
    • <awight> I think it's a bad idea to pass the desired mailer class via the send() method. (sumanah, 22:02:20)
    • seems to be some agreement that using SwiftMailer as backend would resolve this better (brion, 22:06:32)
    • ACTION: brion to summarise this discussion on RfC talk page (re user mailer) (sumanah, 22:07:29)
  • Authstack (sumanah, 22:07:45)
    • LINK: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/AuthStack (sumanah, 22:07:49)
    • Tyler updated this earlier this year. He responded to a request and "reduced the scope of the RFC by removing the Permissions infrastructure and the ClientSession class." So we could use a fresh opinion. (sumanah, 22:07:55)
    • some agreement to changing ExternalUser to ExternalAuthUser for clarity and to avoid potential conflict (brion, 22:14:53)
    • a few people like the idea in general (sumanah, 22:16:50)
    • people seem to like the general idea — likely to proceed? (brion, 22:16:52)
    • Everyone believes it's generally a good idea (MaxSem, 22:16:54)
    • <parent5446> Once I finish up the Password patch I'll start working on AuthStack code (sumanah, 22:17:06)
  • support for user-specific page lists in core (sumanah, 22:25:21)
    • LINK: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Support_for_user-specific_page_lists_in_core (sumanah, 22:25:34)
    • Ori and Steven last updated this in September 2013. When we discussed it then, we agreed "to expand this RFC somewhat" and that "no one dislikes the basic idea, but ... it's large enough that it's hard to sign off on it completely without further work" (sumanah, 22:25:42)
    • TimStarling said "I will add some comments about the potential need to abstract the backend" (sumanah, 22:26:20)
    • Adam Wight relates: "this work is probably getting rolled into an EducationProgram rewrite" (sumanah, 22:26:30)
    • ACTION: TimStarling it would be nice if you could add a note to the user specific page lists in core RfC talkpage about abstracting the backend (sumanah, 22:32:40)
    • ACTION: someone should consult AaronSchulz and anomie re how to fix the externallinks issue (sumanah, 22:33:52)
  • Nonlinear versioning (sumanah, 22:36:51)
    • LINK: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Nonlinear_versioning (sumanah, 22:36:56)
    • Adam Wight last updated this in August 2013. This feels super experimental so I don't know whether any next actions are necessary; should we encourage Adam to prototype this? (sumanah, 22:37:01)
    • LINK: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Edit_your_replica human-language RfC (sumanah, 22:37:29)
    • ACTION: awight http://opensourcebridge.org/blog/2014/03/submit-your-2014-proposals-today/ ;-) (I bet people would come to your talk) (sumanah, 22:42:27)
    • <TimStarling> you know that we are considering redesigning the revision system along SOA lines (sumanah, 22:44:42)
    • this might be better for non-Wikimedia wikis, or for use by massively multiplayer editing on fast-breaking news topics (sumanah, 22:45:14)
    • Tim's questions: 1) do we want it? 2) how much hardware are we willing to buy to get it? 3) how do you make efficient use of that extra hardware? what schema, what server, etc.? (sumanah, 22:45:37)
    • performance, how to alter the DB schema, what does the current schema support (sumanah, 22:46:29)
    • ACTION: awight to keep investigating this, move motivations from Idealab page onto RfC, compare his idea to to other ways of implementing a draft feature, try to answer Tim's questions 2 & 3, and look for potential users (maybe 3rd party wikis) (sumanah, 22:56:35)


Meeting ended at 22:56:54 UTC.


Action items[edit]

  • brion to summarise this discussion on RfC talk page (re user mailer)
  • sumanah to point Daniel Friesen to log
  • TimStarling it would be nice if you could add a note to the user specific page lists in core RfC talkpage about abstracting the backend
  • someone should consult AaronSchulz and anomie re how to fix the externallinks issue
  • awight http://opensourcebridge.org/blog/2014/03/submit-your-2014-proposals-today/ ;-) (I bet people would come to your talk)
  • awight to keep investigating this, move motivations from Idealab page onto RfC, compare his idea to to other ways of implementing a draft feature, try to answer Tim's questions 2 & 3, and look for potential users (maybe 3rd party wikis)


Action items, by person[edit]

  • awight
  • brion
    • brion to summarise this discussion on RfC talk page (re user mailer)
  • sumanah
    • sumanah to point Daniel Friesen to log
  • TimStarling
    • TimStarling it would be nice if you could add a note to the user specific page lists in core RfC talkpage about abstracting the backend


Full log[edit]

See in HTML or see below.