Jump to navigation Jump to search
MediaWiki accessibility is the goal of making MediaWiki sites easier to navigate and read. While measurements provided are primarily intended to assist those with disabilities, they benefit everyone.
People and organizations working on MediaWiki accessibility
- "Access for all" (Swiss foundation for ICT-Accessibility); a step-by-step accessibility analysis according to the Web Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 published by the W3C: http://www.thirdageonline.eu/project-tao-2/software-development/mediawiki-accessibility-enhancements/
- This analysis was accomplished as part of the "Third Age Online" (TAO) AAL project in collaboration with Kai Nissen of WMDE
- Most of the mentioned issues are either feature enhancements or theme related, while some requirements can only be met by setting up or redefining the editing guidelines.
- Lucia Greco, an assistive technologies specialist at UC Berkeley
- Sami Mubarak from http://mada.org.qa/en/ - the non-profit Qatar Assistive Technology Center - works on the accessibility of MediaWiki for the blind (in Arabic)
- Katie Filbert, of the Wikimedia DC chapter, is interested in accessibility efforts and helped run an accessibility hackathon: http://www.wikimediadc.org/wiki/Accessibility_hackathon
- Andrea Zanni is of the Wikimedia Italy chapter. Wikimedia Italy is investing in software development to improve Wikisource usability and accessibility for new users.
- Adi Kushnir helped lead an accessibility session at Wikimania 2011, during the developer days, discussing what needs fixing.
- Wikimedia France is interested in working on Wikimedia accessibility, to create an audit of the current situation and a roadmap for future work.
- Jopparn, who submitted an accessibility project as a Wikimedia fellowship idea.
- the WikiProject Accessibility participants - on other wikis as well?
- Maria Schiewe, Danny B. and Rodan Bury had Accessibility Presentation and Workshop at Wikimania 2010.
- Danny B. and Maria Schiewe started Accessibility initiative.
- Mark Holmquist is an employee of the WMF who is usually willing to help with accessibility issues.
- Derk-Jan Hartman (thedj), a software developer working on Accessibility guide for developers.
- Hoo man (Marius Hoch) is working with WMDE to fix a11y bugs in the summer of 2013.
- Wikimedia Sverige is developing a MediaWiki extension called Wikispeech, a text-to-speech solution aimed at increasing accessibility of Wikipedia's articles. Please contact me if you would like to be involved.
- Volker E. is working for Wikimedia Foundation and has been focussing on accessible interfaces to be provided across all Foundation products.