Release status: stable
|Description||Provides an extendable wikitext editing interface and many feature-providing modules|
|Latest version||Continuous updates|
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
|Quarterly downloads||932 (Ranked 12th)|
|Public wikis using||13,753 (Ranked 9th)|
|Translate the WikiEditor extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
|Issues||Open tasks · Report a bug|
The WikiEditor extension provides an improved interface (primarily a toolbar) for editing wikitext. It is the wikitext editing interface that Wikipedia started using in 2010 for desktop users, and so it is sometimes called the 2010 wikitext editor.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your
wfLoadExtension( 'WikiEditor' );
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
In some situations, WikiEditor may not show in your browser after the installation. Clearing your browser cache will solve the problem.
Note for IIS setup: By default, IIS doesn't understand
WikiEditor uses them to represents the icons.
To fix this, you have to add the MIME type.
Enabling/disabling the toolbar
No configuration is needed "out of the box". By default, when installed this extension will be available to all users, and logged-in users can disable it from their preferences via the "Enable the editing toolbar" option (under the "Editing" tab).
If you wish all users to have it, and be unable to disable it, add it to
$wgHiddenPrefs in your LocalSettings.php:
$wgHiddenPrefs = 'usebetatoolbar';
If you are using a version before
REL1_31 and would want the toolbar to be default for users when they first join, add this line to your
$wgDefaultUserOptions['usebetatoolbar'] = 1;
Enable the Realtime Preview feature with the following:
$wgWikiEditorRealtimePreview = true;
This feature is as of August 2022 being tested on some wikis like this wiki.
The button for adding user signatures (four tildes) is available on talk pages and in namespaces specified in $wgExtraSignatureNamespaces.
The extension used to provide "Labs" features for "publication" and "preview" steps, but these were removed from
- Extension:WikiEditor/Toolbar customization – technical details of customizing the toolbar.
- Extension:WikiEditor/Toolbar customization/Library – snippets of code for common additions to the toolbar.
- 2017 wikitext editor
- Extension:EventLogging – if the EventLogging extension is installed, WikiEditor will make use of it.
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|
|This extension is included in the following packages and/or wiki farms:|
- Extensions bundled with MediaWiki 1.18
- Stable extensions
- Extensions with invalid or missing type
- GPL licensed extensions
- Extensions in Wikimedia version control
- ChangeTagsListActive extensions
- EditPage::attemptSave extensions
- EditPage::attemptSave:after extensions
- EditPage::showEditForm:fields extensions
- EditPage::showEditForm:initial extensions
- EditPageGetPreviewContent extensions
- GetPreferences extensions
- ListDefinedTags extensions
- RecentChange save extensions
- All extensions
- Extensions used on Wikimedia
- Extensions included in BlueSpice
- Extensions included in Canasta
- Extensions available as Debian packages
- Extensions included in Fandom
- Extensions included in Miraheze
- Extensions included in MyWikis
- Extensions included in ProWiki
- Extensions included in semantic::core
- Extensions included in wiki.gg
- Extensions included in WikiForge
- Extensions included in Telepedia
- Usability initiative extensions
- Edit extensions
- WYSIWYG extensions