Wikipedia Education Program
- The Education Program extension is currently in active use on a number of Wikipedias, with experimental use on other projects (Wikiversity, Wikinews) as well. Andrew Russell Green and Sage Ross are currently working on improving the user experience and squashing the extension's bugs.
- Bugs and feature requests managed on bugzilla
- Status updates
Current plans[edit | edit source]
Although it is functional and meets some of the needs that aren't met by using conventional wiki pages to organize educational assignments, the current user experience for the course pages and other elements of the Education Program extension need to be overhauled. We anticipate that Andrew will continue developing it gradually, while the Growth team may or may not develop a more general system for supporting in-person outreach efforts later on. So we plan to redesign the current system piece by piece, making the new elements as modular as possible.
Near term goals[edit | edit source]
- Allow course leaders to assign articles to students (patch awaiting code review)
- Allow course leaders to add students to courses (patch awaiting code review)
- TODO later: Make instructions for adding students more simple and compact.
- Provide a better way of checking whether a user is part of a course, by including course information at Special:Contributions (patch awaiting code review)
- Implement Notifications for course events (with email enabled by default)
- Notify all participants of new posts to course talk page
- Notify students of talk page posts on their articles
- TODO later: Add a step in the enrollment process to (by default, with opt-out) enable email for all notifications.
- Fix the most significant bugs that won't involve rewriting the core course page code
Medium term goals[edit | edit source]
- Create a way to extract lists of student usernames for one or many courses at once
- Use a conventional wiki page for main page text of course pages.
- Provide a way for students to request help, wherever they are on Wikipedia.
- Make iterative improvements to the course activity feeds.
- Inline diffs like WritKeeper's script
- Basic stats on recent and total activity for a given course
Long term goals[edit | edit source]
- Turn main course page into something awesome (with modular parts that may appear or not based on use case and which user is using it)
- Integrate trainings into course pages
- Integrate a course creation wizard into course pages
Design ideas and mockups[edit | edit source]
User testing[edit | edit source]
As we get closer to a redesign of the main course page UI/UX, Sage will do lightweight user testing. Let him know if you want to participate.
History[edit | edit source]
The Education Program extension is currently in use on English Wikipedia and a number of other Wikimedia wikis. After initial development by Jeroen De Dauw (see initial Software design document), it was deployed on English Wikipedia in late 2012, and has been used actively since the beginning of 2013, with maintenance by Jeroen until July 2013. In October 2013, Andrew Russell Green began working as the primary developer of the extension.