||Please this page.|
|This page contains release notes for a future version of MediaWiki.|
MediaWiki 1.24 is currently being developed. Consult the RELEASE-NOTES file for the full list of changes. It is currently deployed on Wikimedia Foundation wikis through incremental "wmf"-branches starting April 2014. The 1.24.0 stable release is expected to come out somewhere in 2014. Download the latest snapshot or checkout the
master branch in Git to follow this release.
Preferences made easier[edit | edit source]
MediaWiki is known to be extremely flexible and customisable, but few users use its full potential. In 1.24, we aim to make dozens obscure preferences easily discoverable and obvious to use.
New features[edit | edit source]
- Category pages can now be moved (bug 5451).
- MergeHistory for all administrators by default (bug 66155).
- Improvements have been made to the password storage system in gerrit:77645, allowing improved security against offline attacks should a wiki's database be compromised by attackers. Then, in gerrit:149658, the default password storage algorithm was changed to PBKDF2.
- PBKDF2 and Bcrypt have built-in support in PHP. The new extensible password API makes it trivial to implement scrypt support if we wanted to.
Usability[edit | edit source]
- The move feature and other actions are now discoverable in Vector, thanks to a label for the dropdown where they're hidden by default (bug 44591).
Performance[edit | edit source]
In 2014, MediaWiki development has a new focus on frontend performance.
- (bug 39035) Improved Vector skin performance by removing collapsibleNav, which used to collapse some sidebar elements by default. This removes -list id suffixes like p-lang-list: instead of using things like #p-lang-list, you can do #p-lang .body ul.
Upgrade notices for MediaWiki administrators[edit | edit source]
Breaking changes[edit | edit source]
- Upgrade jQuery to version 1.11.x: mailarchive:wikitech-l/2014-June/076842.html
- Support for register_globals (deprecated 5 years ago) was dropped, MediaWiki will no longer run with it enabled. See email notification for more details.
Browser support depreciated or removed[edit | edit source]
- Internet Explorer 7
- Opera browser 12 or lower
See Compatibility for more information.
Skins no longer loaded after upgrade?[edit | edit source]
MediaWiki 1.24 no longer uses the skin autodiscovery mechanism to load default skins, instead requiring that the skins be manually loaded in
LocalSettings.php, much like extensions (see Manual:Skin configuration#Installing skins). This will require you to update
LocalSettings.php after the upgrade – a prominently displayed warning message should guide you through the process, suggesting the exact configuration that you need to add.
If you're upgrading via a tarball release, that is all you need to do. If you're upgrading via git or otherwise from source, note that the skins themselves have been each moved to a separate repository and will need to be installed separately (much like extensions, some basic ones are included in the tarball).
Schema[edit | edit source]
- wl_user_notificationtimestamp on Watchlist table
Release schedule[edit | edit source]
|Language:||English • 日本語|