Wikipedia iPhone app
||Some or all of the information on this page is inconsistent, irrelevant or confusing.
Please help clean it up if you are able.
This page's information is from 2010. For up-to-date information about Wikipedia mobile app development, see meta:Mobile Projects.
More information and build instructions on Github
- Custom Rhodes fork --- http://github.com/wikimedia/rhodes/tree
- Application --- http://github.com/wikimedia/WikipediaMobile
Features hopefully going in right quick
- Language selection
- Update the footer text & link back to full site
Features to consider adding for future
- Default to phone's UI language if available
- Search suggestions while you type
- (Retry) Search other languages
- Table of contents for faster in-article navigation
- Better section folding
- Fold more aggressively on moderately long pages
- Allow fetching the subsection contents later, so very long pages can be loaded up faster initially.
- Video/audio playback?
- cf Wiki Tap
- probably needs either a native vorbis/theora player (!) or transcoding
- Location-based search
- May be easier to push this back until we have geo searching in the official API
- Pre-seed app with offline articles (possibly in openZim format)
- Queue pages to read later
- Shake to retrieve a random Wikipedia article
- Landscape/potrait re-orientation
- Universal app / iPad support
- Retina graphics support