Wikimedia Technical Committee/Facilitator's Guide

Jump to navigation Jump to search

The facilitator uses a set of defined communications practices to prepare, document, and share committee activities.

Committee meetings[edit]

Creating the agenda[edit]

Each private committee meeting records its agenda and minutes in a private Google Doc. To create an agenda:

  • Make a copy of the template (requires access to the Technical Committee Google Drive), and rename the file with the meeting date.
  • Copy action items from the previous week’s meeting minutes into the “Status of our action items” section of the agenda.

Sending the go-around email[edit]

One or two days before the planning meeting, the facilitator should send a go-around email to with a link to the agenda doc.

Warning Warning: After sending the email, Gmail may prompt you turn on link sharing; make sure to check the box for "Don't give access" to keep the doc private.


Subject: TechCom Go-around YYYY-MM-DD

Hi all,

Here is the agenda/notes doc for this week: <add link>
Please reply with your go-around or any agenda items.

<Person> is scheduled to do the board grooming.

As a reminder, here are the action items from last week’s meeting:

  • <List action items from previous meeting minutes.>

This week's public RFC review meeting will discuss <RFC title> (<link to RFC in Phabricator> ).


Taking meeting minutes[edit]

During the planning meeting, the facilitator should take notes by subject and speaker, providing links to relevant Phabricator tasks and updating the times shown in the agenda to reflect the progress of the discussion.

To complete the minutes:

  • Extract action items into the action items section.
  • Summarize the minutes into 3-10 bullet points, and add them to the public notes section.

Public notes example

  • Discussed: Serve Main Page of WMF wikis from a consistent URL <>. This RFC proposes serving a wiki’s main page from the domain root. The configuration option has been merged as disabled by default, and the RFC is ready for discussion with stakeholders.
  • Discussed: Need to clarify consequences of approved RFC Define criteria for setting explicit PHP support target for MediaWiki <>. Guidelines established by this RFC should be available on, including process for announcing changes to the PHP version required for core on wikitech-l.
  • No IRC meeting next week

Public discussions[edit]

When scheduled, public RFC discussions directly follow private meetings and take place in #wikimedia-office on Freenode.

Sending a reminder email[edit]

An hour before the RFC meeting, send a reminder to wikitech-l.


Subject: Up next: RFC discussion about versioning of the new core REST API.

This was already announced in the last TechCom Radar email, but in case you have missed it:

In an hour, we will be talking about the versioning mechanism for the new REST API in MediaWiki core:

You can join the discussion on the #wikimedia-office channel.

Chairing the meeting[edit]

We use MeetBot commands to manage the meeting and generate notes. See the example notes from 2019-05-29.

Use the bot to start the meeting, call out #info for the meeting summary, and end the meeting. The chair should also collect questions, remind people of the current topic, and try to facilitate a structured discussion.

Command Action
#startmeeting TechCom RFC discussion Start the meeting
#topic Route Handler Interface RFC Set the topic for the meeting
#link Record a link
#chair alice Add Alice as a co-chair
#info <bob> RFC review meetings happen in IRC. Record Bob's comment in the meeting summary
#endmeeting End the meeting and generate the notes

Public minutes[edit]

During the planning meeting, the facilitator should take high-level notes that capture the main points of the discussion. Following the meeting, the facilitator should clean up and condense these notes before posting them to the Architecture Forum. See previous posts for style and format examples.

Following the planning and RFC review meetings, publish the public highlights section of the notes to as Wikimedia Technical Committee/Minutes/YYYY-MM-DD.


{{TechComPlanningMeeting/header|private-minutes=ADD LINK TO GOOGLE DOC}} For more information, see the [ADD LINK TO ARCH FORUM POST public notes].

* Hosted Freenode discussion on <description> <link>
** Minutes: <link>
** Log: <link>
* RFC last call until YYYY-MM-DD: <description> <link to RFC in Phabricator>
* Discussed: <description> <link>
* RFC review meeting scheduled for next week: <description> <link to RFC in Phabricator> YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM UTC (HH:MM PT, HH:MM CET) on Freenode in the #wikimedia-office channel


Radar newsletter[edit]

Once the public meeting notes have been published to, send out the TechCom Radar newsletter to and through the Radar newsletter on

Mailing list[edit]


Subject: TechCom Radar YYYY-MM-DD

Hi all,

Here are the minutes from this week's TechCom meeting:

* <Last call/Discussed/etc.>: <RFC name> <Phabricator link>
<List each item from the public meeting minutes with a short description.>

* IRC discussion next week: <If applicable, add a short summary
of the planned discussion topic.>
As always, the meeting will take place on Freenode in the
#wikimedia-office channel at HH:MM UTC (HH:MM PDT, HH:MM CEST).

You can also find our meeting minutes at

See also the TechCom RFC board

If you prefer you can subscribe to our newsletter here

Radar newsletter on[edit]

From the newsletter page, select Announce, add Wikimedia_Technical_Committee/Minutes/YYYY-MM-DD as the page title and TechCom Minutes YYYY-MM-DD as the summary.