Wikimedia Search Team/Meeting minutes/2015-06-01
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Starting adding event logging to portal
- Doesn’t use standard platform, so some IE8 issues
- It is a page on meta, so someone (ops?) will have to update that page to deploy it
- Working on doc: How can we gather search quality feedback from users (look at how others have done it, and how we have done it in the past)
- For expediency, should use qualtrix
- (Notetaker missed second thing Moiz is working on)
- Working with new server. Some issues.
- Then will return to adding labels, new queries
- Need to prep for upcoming conference
- Worked on supporting vector tile maps on the new server. Code got deployed.
- Did a lot of communications with community. Prep for this weekend’s map conference.
- Will create a phab ticket for metrics needs
- Will work with Wes on hiring/budget
- Was mostly off last week
- Productive talks at hackathon about WDQS
- Working on a WD presentation
- Progress on query string replacement, but not much lately
- Focused on onboarding the next 2 Mondays
- Needs to work on nasty bug with jobs that is breaking tests (and probably causing production weirdness)
- Working on bugs/performance of WDQS. Got help from blazegraph. Not as fast as we want, but no longer “catastrophic”
- Will work on more substantial features. Improve logging.
- Navigating budget changes. Keep things moving forward. Will summarize when it is final.
- Reductions in hardware purchases.
- Focus our asks to external funding options
- Headcount down to +3 (UX, DA, Relevancy eng)
- Hackathon was great
- Would like to have a followup in a separate meeting
- Yuri did great showing off maps (and graphs)
- Will meet w/Rachel to help us get the word out to community
- Working on expectations of UX and metrics
- Developing simple high-level doc of goals, progress, etc. Should probably go on wiki.
- Nothing to report
Oliver (via email):
- 1. Began research into user-perceived accuracy measurements (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T100672) much papers, many wow.
- 2. Studied queries per search sessions (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T99584) concluding that this is actually impossible under the current schema. We'll need a new one for it. Luckily we also need a new schema for something else, so we can probably bind them together.
- 3. Hiring. One more interview (and another today) along with much scrubbing of the candidate pool and a pile of technical task reviews.
- 4. /Hopefully/ finished off the NSA data support. They keep coming up with new requests; I keep smiling sweetly and telling them that the readership team will certainly be interested in those questions and that's who they should be talking to.
- 5. Worked through various dashboard bugs
- 1. Research around user-perceived accuracy measurements (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T100672)
- 2. Monthly Metrics support if we decide metrics is a thing we're doing.
- 3. Defining a new EL schema that solves (at least partially) for 1 and 2 above.
- 4. Reaching out to design research about understanding our user base.
- 5. Reconfiguring our dashboarding service to support multiple, distinct services. This won't actually be useful until we have the data from 3 and from the EL schema currently on engineering's plate (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T100673)
Scrum of Scrums
- Anything from SoS that we should be aware of?
- Analytics doing heavy A/B testing, so “take it easy” on event logging for next 10 days
- Some concerns about event logging servers overload
- Kevin and Dan will talk to firm up our requirements
- Are we blocked?
- Are we blocking? https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/blocked-on-search/
From last week
- How much of our new Java developer will go to WDQS?
- Oliver proposes that all logging should go to the analytics cluster
- Examples: Elastic, WDQS.
- Need to spread the knowledge of how to do it (Oliver will coach Stas)
- Nik: Should elastic go to kibana? KS to follow up
Any reports from the Hackathon? Should we schedule a meeting just for that?
- Wes will set up
How can we have a maps presence at wikimania (since it wasn’t accepted)
- At hackathon segment, but that’s just technical
- Reach out to organizers to find out how we can
- OpenStreetMaps conference this weekend which some folks will attend
- Some folks will attend the Open Air conf Thursday June 4 (SF)
- Kevin is giving Kanban tech talk June 15
- Wikimania (July 15-19)
- (need to insert relevant team page here)