Wikimedia and Open Science event will take place on Monday 16 April, 2018 in Barcelona, PRBB. It is a warm-up event linked to Wikimedia Hackathon 2018 and it will be focused on Open Science topics. It's an event organized by Amical Wikimedia and Wikimedia Foundation, in collaboration with Centre for Genomic Regulation and FOSTER.
Role of Wikimedia in the era of Open Science
Wikimedia has been developing and hosting open initiatives to help the scientific community and to make ongoing research more approachable to a wider citizen audience long before Open Science became a central topic of debate among scientists, policymakers and funders. Open Science, as supported by the European Commission, aims to open up the research process by fostering open access to publications, open and FAIR data, open tools, open peer review, research integrity, stakeholder engagement and citizen science. Projects hosted by Wikimedia like Gene Wiki as part of Wikipedia, or that use wiki technologies like WikiPathways are widely used and accepted by both the research community and the general public. More recently, Wikidata, a knowledge base platform within the Wikimedia ecosystem, has attracted huge interest also because of its potential benefits for the research community. As a result, the WikiCite initiative - an effort to build a repository of bibliographic information - was born. During this one-day event we will explore how the Wikimedia community can build on existing Open Science initiatives (e.g. ORCID) and how Wikimedia projects and technologies can empower ongoing projects aligned with the Open Science philosophy.
- 09.00 - Registration
- 09.15 - Interactive ice breaking
- 10.30 - Talk - Andy Mabbett
- 11.00 - Coffee Break
- 11.30 - Speakers talks / Flash talks from participants
- 13.15 - Lunch
- 14.30 - Parallel sessions: Hackathon / Discussion groups / Tutorial
- 16.00 - Coffee break
- 16.15 - Wrap-up and defining concrete actions
- 17.30 - End of the event
- Etherpad here, or IRC on freenode in #wmhack.
Below some material and outcomes from the event:
Ignasi Labastida. Developing Open Science strategies at a university
Iryna Kuchma. ScienceSource project, Wikidata and Open Science Fellows
Diego Saez-Trumper. Wikimedia Research
Angel Obregon. Wikipedia in education in Spain
- Find ways to integrate/improve OABot with WikiCite efforts
- Wikimedia-related open recommendations for data steward profiles in research centers and academia
- Please it is mandatory to register for venue access and helping in the logistics of the event (meals, room capacity)
Optionally you can also feel free to add/modify your wiki username below.
- Eduard Aibar (UOC)
- Pedro Fernandes (Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência)
- Gwen Franck (EIFL, CC Belgium)
- Iryna Kuchma (EIFL)
- Ignasi Labastida (Universitat de Barcelona)
- Andy Mabbett
- Toni Hermoso
- Àlex Hinojo
- Ricard Recasens
- Miquel Duran
- Ángel Obregón
- Parc de Recerca Biomèdica de Barcelona
- Carrer del Dr. Aiguader, 88
- 08003 Barcelona (Catalonia)
This event will follow the Friendly space policy for Wikimedia Foundation events, attendees must read and follow our Code of Conduct.
Get in touch
Contact: hackathonwikimedia.cat, please also Cc trainingcrg.euThis e-mail address can be used for all inquiries or questions regarding the event.