|This page is obsolete. It is kept for historical interest only. It may document extensions or features that are obsolete and/or no longer supported. Do not rely on the information here being up-to-date.|
- See Help:Searching for a basic user guide, Help:CirrusSearch for an FAQ and a list of key features of the software component.
This page describes the Wikimedia Foundation's Discovery department activities surrounding our sites' search functionality. Our current project is to improve our Elasticsearch search system (using an extension called CirrusSearch).
Wikimedia search has an incremental search completion suggester that is in active development. The team has improved this feature with better handling of typos and better ranking of possible matches in the suggested articles. Work continues to add real-time index updates to the completion suggester and improve overall stability and performance of search by upgrading to the latest version of Elasticsearch.
This feature was available from December 2015 to March 2016 as a beta feature.
The Wikimedia search is an important component to the discovery of knowlege within our projects....
Goals for our current quarter:
- Enhance search results and expose users to other interesting content by improving interwiki search integration.
- Adding real-time index updates to completion suggester and improve overall stability and performance of search by upgrading to Elasticsearch 2.x.
Key performance indicators of how search is working can be found on the search metrics dashboard at http://discovery.wmflabs.org/metrics/
- TextCat—a software component used for doing language detection
- How Elasticsearch breaks Part 1 Part 2
- Notes on unbreaking and optimizing elasticsearch
- Testing Search—testing search changes is complicated!
- Phabricator workboard showing current work of the team.
- Search metrics on the Discovery dashboards
- Elasticsearch stats on Grafana
- Help:CirrusSearch - Information on how the Wikimedia search works.
- Completion Suggester - incremental search
- Cross-wiki Search Result Improvements
- BrowserBot - a browser test bot for search
- Top Unsuccessful Search Queries - The difficulties in creating a list of unsuccessful search results.
|This page or project is maintained by the Discovery Department.