New hire/onboarding plan for Francesco Negri as SRE in the Wikimedia Cloud Services team.
Who to ask for help
- Nicholas Skaggs - Manager - Eastern Standard Time (UTC-6)
- David Caro - 'Buddy' - Central European Standard Time (UTC+1)
Here is a list of the first few tasks that might be interesting:
- Working with Komla on gridengine migration
- Help setup / roll out Magnum (k8s as a service)
- Meet everyone online and get setup.
- Start to learn about Cloud VPS, Toolforge, and team
- The first week will be chaotic. Don't worry. :)
- Day 1 (Getting settled in)
- Meet online with Buddy
- Start going through the Onboarding Checklist
- Ask questions about any and all of this. There is a long tailed setup process and lots of accounts.
- Day 2
- Sync up with Buddy
- Continue going through the Onboarding Checklist, mark items as "Done" as you complete them
- Start looking at the onboarding Phabricator task — while the checklist above is shared with everyone in the Technology department, the Phabricator task details everything that is specific to the Cloud Services team.
- Day 3
- Day 4
- Sync up with Buddy
- Create a welcome email to send to tech-all and post in slack (Manager will help create)
- Day 5
- You made it through week 1!
- Learn about gerrit, checkout puppet repository, review a team patch
- Followup on onboarding requests and enjoy a "Silent Friday"
- Follow-up on your pending access requests
- Ask for some potential clinic-duty tasks, and learn more about clinic duty process
- Meet with your buddy and setup a cadence
- Attend WMCS weekly status meeting
- Learn about Quarterly Goals
- Experiment with WMCS services -- sign up for and use toolforge, cloud VPS, quarry, PAWS, dumps, wiki replicas
- Add your photo and other details to office wiki
- Update team pages to include you! :-)
- Try working with phabricator tasks, see list above for a selection.
- Signup for clinic duty
- Meet Developer Advocacy Team
- Learn more about the community we serve
- Attend first SRE meeting
- Learn more about Tech Department structure
- Continue Buddy check-ins
- Help team finish Quarterly goals!
- Participate in Quarterly Planning
- Be ready for new OKR's
- Participate in your first ITC
- Learn more about wider organizational structure