Wikimedia Cloud Services team/Onboarding David
Tracked in Phabricator
New hire/onboarding plan for David Caro as SRE in the Wikimedia Cloud Services team.
Who to ask for help
- Nicholas - Manager - Eastern Timezone (UTC-6)
- Arturo - Mentoring - Central European Timezone (UTC+2)
- Andrew - 'Buddy' - Central Timezone (UTC-7)
Here is a list of the first few tasks that might be interesting to David:
- Phabricator T267082: Rebuild Toolforge servers that should not have NFS mounted
- Phabricator T265957: Upgrade the singleuser image for PAWS to a version that provides python 3.7+
- Phabricator T267195: CloudVPS: improve VM backups to make them redundant and discoverable
- Phabricator T265965: Ceph dev cluster in codfw1dev
- Phabricator T267194: CloudVPS: enable TLS in openstack API endpoints
November 2 - November 6
- Meet everyone online and get setup.
- Start to learn about Cloud VPS, Toolforge, and team
- Day 1 (Getting settled in)
- Ask questions about any and all of this. There is a long tailed setup process and lots of accounts. We made a Phabricator task to keep track of gaining all the permissions. The first week will be chaotic. Don't worry.
- (done) Join #wikimedia-cloud-admin connect, #wikimedia-cloud connect, and #wikimedia-operations connect channels
- (done) Login to your wikimedia.org email and make sure it works
- (done) Login to https://office.wikimedia.org/, look around, and make yourself a User page.
- (done) Add yourself to the internal contact list.
- (done) Login to metawiki and make yourself a User page.
- (done) Login to MediaWiki wiki and either make yourself a User page or let Help:Extension:GlobalUserPage show people your user page from metawiki.
- (done) Create a Wikitech/LDAP account
- The "Toolforge users" workflow is probably the easiest to follow.
- Use your @wikimedia.org email address.
- Your shell account name will be the same in Cloud VPS, Toolforge, and WMF production so choose wisely.
- You can use an existing ssh key or make a new one as you like (privileged keys will be made later).
- (done) Login to wikitech with your new account and make a User page for yourself.
- (done) Create a Phabricator account by logging in with your Wikitech/LDAP account.
- (done) Link your Phabricator account to your staff wiki account too (
Settings > External accounts).
- (done) Login to Gerrit and add an ssh key so you can upload patches
- (in progress) Get an IRC cloak (or at least start to get one) and join #mediawiki_security ("op yourself and add them via /mode #mediawiki_security +I <nick>!*@* ")
- (done) Read the wiki and other docs
- Day 2
- (done) Sync up with Arturo
- Day 3
- (done) Read through https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/Technical_Engagement/Onboarding
- Day 4
- (done) Sync up with Arturo
- (todo) Create a welcome email to send to tech-all and post in slack (Nicholas will help create)
- Day 5
- (done \o/) You made it through week 1!
- (done) Learn about gerrit, checkout puppet repository, review a team patch
- (done) Followup on onboarding requests and enjoy a "Silent Friday"
- (done) Add the Technical Engagement team calendar to your calendar app
- (done) Get in all IRC channels
- (done) Cloud root
- (done) Create prod root key changeset for week next SRE meeting
- (done) Add 'cteam' for IRC ping
- (done) Register in gerrit https://gerrit.wikimedia.org
- (done) Review open tasks in Phabricator's #cloud-services
November 9 - November 13
- (done) Follow-up on your pending access requests
- (done) Ask for some potential clinic-duty tasks, and learn more about clinic duty process
- (done) Meet with your buddy and setup a cadence
- (done) Attend WMCS weekly status meeting
- (done) Learn about Q2 Goals
- (done :}) Enjoy a company-wide holiday from November 11 - November 13 to setup for a long weekend
November 16 - November 20
- (in progress) Experiment with WMCS services -- sign up for and use toolforge, cloud VPS, quarry, PAWS, dumps, wiki replicas
- (done) Add your photo and other details to office wiki
- (done) Update team pages to include you! :-)
November 23 - November 27
- Try working with phabricator tasks, see list above for a selection.
- Signup for clinic duty
- Meet Developer Advocacy Team
- Learn more about the community we serve
- (done) Attend first SRE meeting
- Learn more about Tech Department structure
- Continue Buddy check-ins
- Help team finish Q2 goals!
- Participate in Q3 Planning
- Be ready for new OKR's
- Participate in your first ITC
- Learn more about wider organizational structure