Wiki Techstorm/Programme/Wikimedia Commons & Pattypan
Date: 22 November 2019
Time: 10:30 - 12:15
Room: Javazaal 1
About the workshop
Pattypan is an easy to use tool to prepare online and offline photos or videos, add metadata and upload the files in batches to Wikimedia Commons.
It is a Java application that makes use of a spreadsheet and allows for a high amount of flexibility when proper, detailed image descriptions are important for the images' reuse on Wikimedia projects, for example when you work at a cultural heritage institution.
We will look at Pattypan from a newbie perspective, and address the following topics:
- Wikimedia Commons
- metadata on Wikimedia Commons (templates)
- copyright on Wikimedia Commons (& copyright templates)
- uploading with Pattypan: step-by-step demonstration
After this workshop, you will be able to start working on one of the Pattypan-related work sessions that are on Phabricator.
For this workshop, please install in advance:
- Pattypan 19.06
- latest version of java (Pattypan will give you a link upon installation if you do not have Java yet)
- Libre Office calc or Microsoft Excel (in case you do not have it)
- Create a Wikimedia account (you will need one to upload files)
- Select 5 tot 10 images or files you created yourself that you would like to upload to Wikimedia Commons. See this cartoon for an idea what sort of material you can use (copyright wise). Also, check out the related tasks of this workhop on Phabricator for batches of files to work on.