VisualEditor/Testing Non-Latin Characters Input and Behavior
This MediaWiki page is inactive and kept for historical interest.</translate> <translate> It may document extensions or features that are obsolete and/or no longer supported.</translate> <translate>Do not rely on the information here being up-to-date.</translate>
Starting on January 28, 2013 and all week long, we're testing VisualEditor's support of non-Latin characters input and behavior.
The VisualEditor project aims to create a reliable rich-text editor for MediaWiki. It is a top priority for the Wikimedia Foundation and it is available for testing on the English Wikipedia.
Setup[edit | edit source]
- You need a browser like Firefox or Chrome. Internet Explorer is not supported yet.
- Enable VisualEditor in your user preferences on the English Wikipedia.
- Prepare sets of non-latin characters that you can copy/paste and use during your tests. For example, you can find them on Wikipedia articles (such as Brahmic scripts, Hebrew language, List of Unicode characters, Special:Hieroglyphs) or wikis in other languages (like the Hebrew language Wikipedia or the Chinese language Wikipedia).
Uncover bugs[edit | edit source]
It's usually recommended to conduct tests on your user page, talk page or a user subpage, to avoid defacing actual Wikipedia articles with test edits.
Here's what you can do to try and find bugs:
- Use VisualEditor to edit pages that already contain non-Latin characters; edit and save a page, adding more non-Latin characters with each edit.
- Insert non-Latin characters into pages that do not already contain non-Latin characters.
- Use non-Latin strings from multiple languages when editing, for example both Hebrew and Indic characters. There is no need to be a speaker of any particular language, we are interested only in the effect of non-Latin text on the page.
- Find non-language Unicode icons and such and edit pages using those also.
Check diffs[edit | edit source]
Not all bugs may be very visible; some might only be noticed in diffs; when testing, always check the diff and look out for unexpected or unwanted changes in wikitext. We are interested in two areas primarily:
- How the wikitext of the page is affected upon inserting, deleting, changing, and otherwise manipulating non-latin characters with VisualEditor;
- How non-Latin characters and strings affect the behavior of the VisualEditor itself.
For example, there is an unsubstantiated report that strings from different non-Latin languages inserted into a page and saved with VisualEditor may cause loss of data elsewhere in the page. Finding and verifying such issues is important.
Change parameters[edit | edit source]
In order to maximize your chances of finding a bug, try out a variety of parameters while testing non-latin characters in VisualEditor:
- Change, enable or disable options in your Preferences on the English Wikipedia;
- Enable or disable gadgets (go to the "Gadgets" tab in your preferences);
- Look for inconsistencies when editing logged or logged out.
Report new bugs[edit | edit source]
- Check existing bugs for VisualEditor internationalization issues, to see if yours has already been identified.
- If no one has reported the issue yet, report a new bug.
Collaborate[edit | edit source]
Who should join?[edit | edit source]
- People using non-Latin character sets routinely e.g. العربية, Ελληνικά, 한국어, فارسی, हिन्दी, עברית, 日本語, Русский, 中文 and more.
- People interested in accessibility.
- People interested in localization.
- People interested in VisualEditor, the new editor for Wikipedia.
Results[edit | edit source]
Where we measure the success of this activity.
Bugs found[edit | edit source]
List here the bugs you find (and hopefully submit as bug reports) during this week: