Jump to navigation Jump to search
- James [Skype]
VisualEditor release - included features
- Overall aim for June: Deployed on a test wiki; can push code to it; ideally with features like editing, but at least getting the full stack actually live so we find the problems and fix them.
- Click on Edit tab -> converts page into editable version of its own page in own namespace from the parsoid; only sysops able to edit wikitext source
- Content types
- Text stuff - Bold/italics/headings/lists/pre/links/links/...
- Maybe image insertion? or at least editing around image
- Most "alien nodes" not supported - same as previous demo?
- Use Web API / parsoid; need work on HTML<->Linear converters so we can round-trip correctly. (This is in lieu of view-the-source-as-you-type from previous demo.)
Status of modules
- Status: Really close - maybe 3-4 days left. Unit tests mostly OK, needs work on transaction builders (Trevor & Roan working on) and converters (also Trevor & Roan).
- Data model is missing just a few functions, but almost there - needs toolbar to hook in formatting of blocks, typing needs to be got working. Linear model needs attention from Roan once DM done?
- Status: Pretty advanced state
- Major outstanding features: Selection <-> linear model (maybe basic version today, hopefully better by end of week?), inserting tags around nodes/etc.; cursor movement by mouse, keyboard; PullContent (was working before, need to re-verify against the unit tests now it's changed).
- Status: ??? - Worked with old code, needs adapting to new code
- Still pending on DM re-write (e.g. transaction build for wrapping lists), annotating text you slug in (bold/italics), inspecting (a link), converting (headings<->paragraphs), indentation & style changes [may need to drop these - in this order?]
- Status: ??? - Could be quite big, but hopefully not.
- Working on getting editlink on certain namespaces replaced with inline editing (loading VE assets/etc.); experiementing with the new parsoid instead of the MW API (revealing some things with the converters)
What can James help with?
- What will be helpful?
- [Need map of this so we can look at it and compare to our to-do list and update it, prioritise what we're working on, ensure what we're working on.]
- Use a bit of help with capturing to-dos - Visual editor/Todo list needs to capture dependencies and priorities in this (blocking on X)
- Maybe push more issues into Bugzilla or something? What's on the roadmap, who's working on what, ... PM stuff?
- Need to get more focus time from team - we have fewer engineers than other teams, they shouldn't be using up our team's time - help defending that position?
- Need to work on some things so Wikia can engage some more developers - a stronger internal API in the VE (toolbar APIs, APIs that allow you to add new nodes, ...) - need to be able to add people to the project at a really low cost [test-bed for plug-in architecture - pulling in videos/polls/quizes/etc. - if Wikia can use it, everyone can.]
- What should he let be?
What kinds of meetings should we have and when?
(Guided by the principle of "as few as possible but no fewer".)
- Keep the 4-day-a-week stand-ups - maybe push to a 1-hour window so James can dial in?
- Up to the release, each Monday a start-off-the-day with "what are we doing for the week?"