VisualEditor/2012-13 Q2 forward-look
Priorities for this quarter[edit | edit source]
- Getting the APIs finished (so other people can more easily get involved)
- Improve stability of the core platform on our target browsers (so it works when we…)
- Deploy in some form to production in a way that lets test users edit real content
Browser matrix[edit | edit source]
- This is not final, but work-in-progress for the VE team; data current as of end-September 2012.
As of May 2015, the blacklist is currently defined as: Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 and below; below Android 3; Firefox 14 and below; Safari 6 and below; below Opera 12; all Blackberry; all Silk. The whitelist is currently defined as: Firefox 15 and up; Iceweasel 10 and up; Safari 7 and up; Chrome 19 and up; Opera 15 and up. Browsers not on either list (such as Internet Explorer 10 and 11) will receive a warning.
|Overall share||Version||Share||Overall share||Version||Share|
|Android||N/A||Less than 0.1%||34.12%||5||1.28% ?|
|40.0||8.76% ✔||40.0||4.11% ?|
|39.0||33.09% ✔||39.0||7.34% ?|
|16.0||0.01% ?||19||0.06% ?|
|11.0||0.03% ?||11.0||0.10% ?|
|35.0||4.84% ✔||35||0.33% ?|
|34.0||11.13% ✔||34||0.47% ?|
|33.0||13.78% ✔||33||0.08% ✔|
|MSIE||9.53%||11.0||7.05% ✔||2.03%||11||1.14% ?|
|10.0||1.04% ✔||10||0.89% ?|
|Safari||4.96%||8.0||2.07% ?||49.19%||8.0||24.28% ✔|
|7.0||1.46% ?||7.0||12.60% ?|
|6.0||0.80% ?||6.0||1.75% ?|
|5.0||0.63% ?||5.0||0.50% ?|
- This includes Chromium, Chrome's open source version, which identifies as "Chrome" in its user agent.
- Including iPod, iPad and iPhone as appropriate.
- Android – 4.0+ (no current automated testing)
- Android before v. 3.0 does not support ContentEditable, so we will have to fall back to wikitext editing.
- Chrome – 19.0+; 29.0+ actively tested
- Chrome has auto-update (but rapid version increases); VE team roughly intend to actively support only the current, soon-to-be-current, and two immediately previous versions, though we intend for all versions at 19.0 and above to work without issue (including forks like Iceweasel). Versions below 19.0 may be possible to support if necessary.
- Firefox – 15.0+; 23.0+ actively tested
- Firefox has auto-update (but rapid version increases); VE team roughly intend to actively support only the current, soon-to-be-current, and two immediately previous versions, though we intend for all versions at 15.0 and above to work without issue (including forks like Iceweasel). There are some technical issues that prevent Firefox 10.0 to 14.0 from being removed from the blacklist; these are solvable if necessary (see bug). Versions below 10.0 lack necessary technological support. Firefox ESR is supported only if the underlying version is supported, so Firefox ESR 10 is not currently supported, but Firefox ESR 17 and Firefox ESR 24 should work fine.
- Mozilla – No support
- Mozilla itself is an ancient browser, and cannot be supported due to technological issues. Lots of browsers are mis-reported as Mozilla but are in fact much more modern, and should work without issue.
- MSIE (Internet Explorer) – 9.0+ (currently suspended)
- Each version of MSIE is differently broken, and adds significant support burden. However, as it is still relatively popular, the team intend to support 9.0 and upwards. Versions below 9.0 suffer from a a variety of missing key technologies which mean they cannot be made to work with VisualEditor.
- Opera – 12.00+ (no current automated testing)
- Opera Desktop (from 12.00 onwards) is a cousin of Chrome, and should work without incident. Opera Mini does not support contentEditable, so VisualEditor can never work on it.
- Safari – 5.0+ (no current automated testing)
- Safari Desktop is a cousin of Chrome, and should work without incident. Safari on iOS (iPad/iPhone/iPod) has very wide-spread auto-update; VE team roughly intend to actively support only the current, soon-to-be-current, and immediately previous version only.
Removed from plan[edit | edit source]
- C++ implementation for December
- We have decided to focus on the Node/JS prototype of the Parsoid for the December release as we do not expect to have the C++ version ready by then.
- C++ implementation for December
- Table editor
- Due to the unexpected difficulties encountered, we do not expect to ship additional node handlers (for other content types) before December, including tables.
- Citation editor
- Due to the unexpected difficulties encountered, we do not expect to ship additional node handlers (for other content types) before December, including citations.
- Definition lists editor
- Due to the unexpected difficulties encountered, we do not expect to ship additional node handlers (for other content types) before December, including definition lists.
- Table editor
Areas of work[edit | edit source]
Open Questions[edit | edit source]