Progress report and status of the FOSS OPW internship - Wikipedia article translation metrics project.
- 1 Community Bonding Period
- 1.1 How was your landing and your first meeting(s) with your mentors?
- 1.2 What is the way of working that you have agreed?
- 1.3 Lessons learned since you applied for this OPW round and since you were accepted
- 1.4 Project plan and deliverables expected in the first half of the program.
- 1.5 Phabricator project and tasks
- 2 Internship timeline
Community Bonding Period
How was your landing and your first meeting(s) with your mentors?
I started the MediaWiki development by finding some easy bugs and fixing them, in order to get accustomed with the MediaWiki core. The community has been really helpful and they managed to give me some tips related to the commit process, which can be a bit tedious at first. But after some commits everybody gets used to it. After this I got in contact with Amir and we had a Skype meeting where I got a glimpse on the metrics used by the Content Translation extension, and we also talked on IRC during this period and he gave me some small tasks to do.
I also had another Skype meeting with Neta, the other intern on this project, and we got to know each other and talked about us and a bit about the project we are currently working on.
What is the way of working that you have agreed?
- we are mainly going to use IRC, Skype and/or Google Hangouts;
- another way of changing thoughts is through Phabricator conpherence;
- also, communicating via emails will be an option when we will not be able to meet at the same time;
Lessons learned since you applied for this OPW round and since you were accepted
- used Phabricator for bug tracking
- also used Phabricator through conpherences for a casual place to meet and talk with other people involved in this project
- started some Coursera classes that will offer me a base ground for the data analysis field.
Project plan and deliverables expected in the first half of the program.
Deliverables and a detailed timeline can be found on this page.
Phabricator project and tasks
- Phabricator project: Wikipedia article translation metrics on Phabricator
- Wiki page: Wikipedia article translation metrics on Wiki
Week 1 & Week 2 (Dec. 9 - Dec. 24)
- followed some Coursersa classes about Data science and Data analysis that helped me get an overview of what data analysis means;
- set up a new Vagrant environment;
- had a Hangout with Neta, Amir and Joel on Thursday, December 11th, with the following summary where we talked about the following
- how we will split this project in half, Neta will work on analyzing current translation and estimating how many translations are done and I will prepare on the detail metrics for content translation
- what ContentTranslation is and what it does
- I found out about the analytics team
- small intro about EventLogging, that is a generic way to log events, where you prepare a schema, write some lines in PHP or JS that log events and after that, after the events are logged, they are saved in the database
- got the first tasks to work on (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T76416, https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T76419, https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T76400)
- I found wikimetrics and browsed its code (https://metrics.wmflabs.org/) and set up a local wikimetrics env;
- joined the analytics mailing list;
- installed and set up ContentTranslation extension on Vagrant;
- watched the ContentTranslation TechTalk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7f5Zfvit5E);
- installed and set up ContentTranslation extension manually (waiting for the https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/180027/ Add module and role for ContentTranslation extension fix to set up CX through Vagrant);
- set up cxserver, which took me quite some time, because Vagrant runs, by default, on port 8080, and cxserver also runs, by default, on 8080. So what I did to fix this was to configure Vagrant to run on a different port, like 8081 (or anything that is available) running the
vagrant config --listto find out the available commands, and
vagrant config http_port 8081to actually change it;
- the next step I will be doing is to work on the 3 tasks mentioned above (T76416, T76419 and T76400).
Week 3 & Week 4 (Dec. 24 - Jan. 04)
- it was a light week, had some days off
- I tried to set up eventlogging-devserver, but I got stuck
- researched for https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T76419 and https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T76416
- I created a new special page that contains statistics about ContentTranslation users
Week 5 & Week 6 (Jan. 05 - Jan. 18)
- TODO create a schema to log three types of events: when you start a translation, when you save that translation and it gets saved in your user space and when you move it in the main namespace.
- added https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Schema:CXActivity for https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T76419
- created this patch https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/184631/
- research for https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T76400
Week 7 (Jan. 19 - Jan. 25)