Extension:UploadWizard/Book upload customization
UploadWizard: Book upload customization
Name and Contact information
Name: Nazmul Chowdhury
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
IRC: #mediawiki: Rasel160
Location: Brooklyn, NY, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Hours: Will be able to put in 40+ hours a week between June 1 and August 23, available 24/7
This project can be deployed either as modification to the UploadWizard:(Straight from the ideas page)
- On the "Upload" screen there would be another button labeled as "Import book" which would activate a similar functionality as now provides the "MediaWiki Internet Archive Import tool".
- On the "Describe" screen there would be an additional option to import external metadata from external sources either in MARC, BibJson or others. Currently MARCsman exists as a standalone tool
- Extra data fields for books
- Store all book meta data in the commons Template:Book
- Create automatically an "Index:" page on Wikisource with the relevant data.
Up to June 20: project research, get familiar with the UploadWizard code
June 21- July 20: write the code for the upload screen interface, storing the metadata.
July 21- August 5: write the code to import external metadata from external sources
August 6-10: test the code
August 11- 20: fix bugs, code clean up, write documentation
August 21: pencil down
I first stumbled across Wikipedia in 8th grade, when I was doing research for my science project. I have been, addicted to it ever since. Everything I am, is thanks to Wikipedia, it has got me through High School papers and now it’s helping me navigate through College. Wikimedia centralized human knowledge acquired throughout the centuries and continuously growing, and I want to make it better, better for me and better for the entire world.
I am comfortable working under a mentor with electronic communication only. My support structure for codeing always has been the stackoverflow community, and the internet in general this is where I will probably first look for help, if I am stuck somewhere and my second line of defense is of course the mediawiki community.
Past open source experience
I have fixed a few bugs/made some improvements on mediawiki UploadWizard extension, gerrit / gerrit-review. I am also part of MiKinetic, an web-application being built to help research in the BioInformatics(currently stores/displays interaction between Ligands and Receptors and eventually people will be able to run simulations using the data).