User:NateshR/Gsoc Proposal 2014
Add gallery to wikimedia commons android app
Bugzilla report :
Name and contact information
Name : Natesh Relhan
Email : email@example.com
IRC or IM network/handle(s) : nateshr
Location : India
Typical working hours : 12 p.m to 2 a.m until August , 6 p.m to 2 a.m after August
This project aims to add a gallery in Wikimedia Commons android app. There will be a gallery in Commons android app with the help of JSON api's of Commons website.
- Adding a gallery in the app so that users are able to see the images uploaded by various people around the world.
- Reading JSON information and having a bunch of images in the app.
- Making a gallery of images after that.
- Categorizing content wise gallery.
- Adding 'download image' button so that user is able to download the particular image.
- Creating new API modules to report files grouped by certain criteria.
Android App Architecture
= Possible mentors
Sébastien Santoro aka Dereckson
- Gallery in Wikimedia Commons Android App.
- Gallery having sub divisions based on contents e.g topic , location , type , author etc.
- Having further divisions in topic , location , author , type etc such as topic->nature , science or location-> earth ,space etc.
- A download button to download the image.
- Building API modules for commons website.
Estimated project timeline
Through Gsoc period I'll be working on the deliverable discussed above and having a good UI of gallery.
- Community bonding period(3-4 weeks)
- Studying code of commons app.
- Discuss project with the community.
- Fix some bugs.
- Examining web api's(3-4 weeks)
- understanding web API modules of commons website.
- Community feedback period(1-2 weeks)
- I would like to share my work and ask my doubts with the community.
Milestone: Web API modules
- Examining new API modules (3-4 weeks).
- Creating new API modules to report files grouped by certain criteria(4-5 weeks).
Milestone: Building gallery in commons android app
- Creating gallery (3-4 weeks).
- Sub divisions in gallery (2-3 weeks).
- Testing(1-2 weeks)
As a regular follower of Mediawiki , I regularly hangout on #wikimedia-commons and #wikimedia-mobile. I'll ask my doubts on the following IRC channles and if required also on mailing list. I will try to maintain a copy of my work on Github and will try to commit often. For develpment I'll use IntelliJ in Eclipse . I'll try to document my work.
I am Natesh Relhan , a B-Tech , Computer Science student from JIIT Noida. I am fond of building stuff that making life easier for users and provide a good UI. Languages I mostly practice are Java , C , C++. I got interested in this project after seeing that there is no such functionality available in Commons android app. This project excites me as it will help many users to explore various images uploaded by different people.
Past open source experience
I am an active member of Open Source Developers Club in my university. I have developed some open source app.
- Have knowledge of Rooting of android devices
- Pixpa Android App
- I have made some basic apps.
Any other info
Notes related to project :