We improved the documentation for hackathon organizers! You can find it on the Hackathons page and its sub-pages, including an improved timeline and handbook for organizers.
A handbooks to organise hackathons
(Points taken from discussions with WMF coordinators and organisers & regulars of previous hackathons.)
Rule of thumb: max ~1h of travel between venue & international airport, running at least once per hour.
(No hard rule there though, other could be considered)
- If possible, sleeping & hacking in the same building. Otherwise, minimise transport time, avoid public transport (not running in the middle of the night ;)
- Eating on site
- Flexibility is king! 24/24 access.
- Big fat wide working space
- Attributes: tables, being able to move around
- Typically: hostel dinner room or central hall
- Big room with everybody, for opening & closing
- Attributes: chairs to sit everybody
- Roughly only serves for opening & closing ; rest of the time a break out room
- Several breakout rooms
- Attributs: AV set-up
- At least 3 (?)