If the following topics are not in your jurisdiction, could you point me to someone that can help me?
Getting to the point, I see the following shortcoming that should maybe resolved (noticed this on WikiVoyage):
- Rendering a PDF creates something weird like ?'"`UNIQ--maplink-00000000-QINU`"'? (see https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Map_error.png) where before there was a embedded map in the wiki, e.g. see Amman#See.
- Furthermore, within a WikiVoyage article, for all listings that have a GPS entry, there appears a "1" in front of the entry when producing a PDF from this article (see https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Listing_error.png).
- On an advanced level, maybe also to deal with the former problems, the current PDFs ("Download as PDF") lack any map and thus the time-consuming maintenance of the GPS locations of sees, do, sleeps, etc. of a travel article are lost when downloading the PDF or creating a book from it. So why not also include a generic overview map (produced from OSM) for each article containing all GPS points with number, like Lonely Planet does (e.g. see http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2194/2055215075_3d17498971_b.jpg)? This could for example be produced as a whole page at the end of each (PDF) article and it only needs to contain the numbers/points (as reference to the previous listings).
- For WikiVoyage articles the "Download as PDF" link is quite hard to find on the left side, and I know from some people they basically just printed (directly or into a PDF) the wiki page instead of properly creating the PDF. Couldn't there be created an icon with link in the upper right corner of the article for a direct download of this PDF, right next to the GPX icon where the GPX entries of the article can be directly downloaded, and the icon for the map view (see https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Quick_icons.png)?
- As mentioned before, each WikiVoyage article has a GPX file download icon (link) in the upper right corner to download all GPS points mentioned in this article. But for a book such a combined GPX file is not available, even though it would make sense to have all GPS points of all the books articles combined for the book to load them into a smartphone app like OSMand for travelling.