Mark Your Calendars: Wikimedia Hackathon 2024 in Tallinn, Estonia, from May 3rd - 5th 2024! 🎉
Hi Everyone, On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation's Hackathon Organizing team, I am thrilled to share the exciting news that the 2024 Wikimedia Hackathon is scheduled to unfold in the captivating city of Tallinn, Estonia, from May 3rd - 5th 2024! The Wikimedia Hackathon is an annual event, uniting the global technical community in a dynamic gathering focused on connection, innovation, and building really cool projects. At this event, technical contributors hailing from all corners of the globe converge with a shared mission: to enhance the technological infrastructure and software that underpins and empowers Wikimedia projects. For this exceptional 2024 edition, the Wikimedia Foundation is joining forces with WMEE, the official local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation in Estonia, to bring you an unforgettable experience. The theme for this edition aligns with last year's, emphasizing the gathering of individuals who have a track record of contributing to the technical aspects of Wikimedia projects. We're looking for those who are versed in navigating the technical ecosystem and are adept at working autonomously or collaborating effectively on projects.
While the majority of our event will unfold onsite, we're excited to share that certain parts of the program will be broadcasted online, ensuring accessibility to a wider audience. We warmly encourage local communities to host pre-hackathon events or meetups. In the coming months, these pages will be your go-to resource for comprehensive details on attendance procedures, venue specifics, travel recommendations, accommodation options, and scholarship opportunities. Stay tuned! The next milestone on our journey is just around the corner. Registration and scholarship applications are set to open Monday November 27th (see timeline). Be sure to keep an eye on the talk page, mediawiki page and your inbox for consistent updates. Should you have any inquiries or wish to get in touch with the coordination team, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or share your thoughts on the talk page of the hackathon. We are really looking forward to welcoming you again at the Hackathon, and we hope that you are also excited to join and hack together! OOnifade-WMF (talk) 17:29, 22 November 2023 (UTC)
Health and safety policy
Looking forward to this event! As part of making this onsite event a Friendly Space, will you create a health and safety policy that covers masking policies and other covid-19 related health procedures? Even though the Foundation lifted its covid travel policy, it is still recommended that event organizers follow these best practices and guidelines to ensure the safety of participants: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Risk_assessment_during_COVID-19/In-person_gatherings_checklist.
- Hi @TBurmeister (WMF)
- Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are committed to prioritizing the health and safety of all participants at the event. We will create a comprehensive health and safety policy, adhering to industry best practices to ensure a secure environment for everyone involved. OOnifade-WMF (talk) 12:30, 12 February 2024 (UTC)
- Hello! We are finalizing the list of scholarships that will be provided to a limited amount of folks to help with travel arrangements, including anyone from Nigeria that might be on that final list. However, for those not selected for a scholarship to the 2024 Hackathon, we can't provide travel arrangements to anyone else, apologies. DTankersley (WMF) (talk) 15:18, 31 January 2024 (UTC)
How do I apply my visa from Nigeria to Estonia
- Hi @Nkiru Odihekandu
- Kindly use this link to select your country and embassy Dnshitobu (talk) 16:17, 2 February 2024 (UTC)
- Hi @Nkiru OdihekanduHere are some additional information:
- For more information concerning visa applications in Nigeria, please consult TLS: https://visas-be.tlscontact.com/visa/ng
- Embassy of Belgium: https://nigeria.diplomatie.belgium.be/en/travel-to-belgium OOnifade-WMF (talk) 12:34, 12 February 2024 (UTC)
Request for travel documents ASAP
Thank you for the scholarship. I currently have my passport with the German Embassy, and when I got this scholarship, I wrote to them asking if I would be able to submit the travel documents for the Hackathon for an extended visa since there is no available slot from now until the hackathon event except in April, and they accepted. They are requesting that I send the invitation letter, flight itinerary, and hotel booking ASAP so that they can review it and make their decision. Of course, the scholarship email said these documents will be sent to us by February 16, which will be very timely for my case. I am writing to plead with the organizers to see how fast they could help me with those documents, at least before February 8, 2024, to be able to send them over to the embassy so that they could just work on both for me before I pick my passport scheduled for February 12, 2024.