目前有两种通知的浮动菜单，一种用于提醒，一种用于消息。 不同的通知类型显示在不同的菜单上。 There have been criticism over time that the scheme for dividing up the messages is unclear and/or inconsistent. 批评主要有：
- Ideas of "urgency" and "requiring follow up" are mixed together, making it difficult to explain or predict why different items are in each flyout.
- 目前，在打开弹出菜单时，“提醒”项目会自动“标记为已读”。 Yet some of these require follow-up or other action to be fully understood (e.g., Mention), so this feature's value is not always clear.
- To create a scheme that is easy to understand, learn, and predict.
- To give editors clearer information about their new notifications.
- To reduce unnecessary distraction from non-urgent notifications.
- Something that works well for editors who get large (and small) quantities of notifications.
- Something that scales well, as new (requested) notification types are created.
- Something that scales well, once cross-wiki notifications are available.
See examples of the most common notification types at: File:Notifications Catalog.png
(This table has no annotations, and just shows the most common notification-types. See a more detailed version here at googledocs which also includes a 3rd and 4th (more complicated) alternative.)
|#1: 目前分组||#2: 紧急通知与非紧急通知相对|
|Ideas of Urgency and Follow up are mingled in ways that are inconsistent, making this difficult to explain or predict.||Division, while subjective, is clear and will track with some users' expectations (given the red badge color).||The division is subjective. Given differing working styles, some users will disagree with assignment of individual items.|
|Because some "Alert" items require follow-up and are not self-contained (e.g., Mention), ability to Mark as Read on open is of questionable value||Factor of urgency may provide an aid to triage ("check these first")|
|Because alerts are perceived as Urgent, Thank Yous and other items seem out of place.|
|In this scheme, an effort was made to determine the messages that users would want to know right away vs. those that they may regard as less pressing. Urgency was more or less arrived at by consensus in consultation with various team members.||用什么标注这些：“提醒”的确恰当，因为它展现了紧急性的含义。 但多数提醒本应是一般消息（例如编辑用户讨论页）。 Suggest "Notices" as not sounding to deprecatory but connoting a lower level of urgency.|
|The red, "Urgent," badge color for Alerts is recommended for this scheme.||In labelling the non-urgent items, we need to be careful that some groups (e.g., Translation) don't perceive that we are labelling their activities less important.|
|Many of the Urgent (Alert) items require follow-up (e.g., edit-user-talk), so use of automatic Mark as Read is not recommended.|