Multimedia/Standup notes/2019/March

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Contents

2019-03-28[edit]

James[edit]

  • Federation broke editing NS0 on Commons (T219450; whoops) and was reverted. Addshore is looking at how to fix Wikibase so that we can proceed.
  • Earlier, federation broke search on Commons (T219448; quick-fixed by the Search Platform team, proper fix is T218954); also T219455 was confusing things.
  • https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/extensions/WikibaseMediaInfo/+/499556 needs to land before the train; it's horrible.
  • I'll be back on Tuesday.

Pam[edit]

  • Handed off usability test for design feedback, hoping to get some extra help to deploy it as i focus on everything else
  • Consolidating all updated designs into one document
  • Ad hoc discussions about tickets

Matthias[edit]

(won't be back in time for standup)

  • Add acceptance criteria to tickets in QA
  • Work on search widget

Eric[edit]

  • JS unit test patch is merged! (thanks James) yaycloud
    • Happy to help anyone that wants to dive in and write tests; I'm sure the setup will need to be extended for more complex components
  • Several CSS-related tickets have started to blur together; hoping I can address them all in this patch: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/extensions/WikibaseMediaInfo/+/498261; aiming to be ready for review by EOD today

Keegan[edit]

Won't be at standup, will be at retro

  • Usual community thing, making sure we're ready for next week

Mark[edit]

  • Offsite plans proceeding apace (Max is helping a lot)
  • Watching the aftermath of the incident report
  • Some minor things I'm going to try to track better - big external blockers and bidirectional communication

HANA[edit]

  • actually working on the ticket from yesterday T219292 (re-ordering entity rows) today - yesterday ended up being more CSS fiddling
  • Reminder: I'm out tomorrow (Friday)

Edward[edit]

  • Wrapping up high priority RW tickets
  • Take a look at the MM tickets and try to progress some

Cormac[edit]

  • merged the UploadWizard ticket
  • doing some regression testing, raising a few bugs

Ramsey[edit]

  • reconfiguring the milestones
  • updating tickets
  • consultations with various team members about tickets
  • meetings


2019-03-27[edit]

HANA[edit]

  • finishing up ticket about re-ordering depicts entities on click of "publish" (prominent should be first in list) https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T219292
  • continuing to follow any tickets I have in code review through merge (thanks matthias for code review)

Pam[edit]

  • Ticket feedback
  • Ticket writing
  • Sharing usability script for design review
  • Making a new sketch file with all the updated designs (big picture)

Keegan[edit]

  • Check up on community testers that haven't left feedback
  • Other announcement followup

Eric[edit]

  • Fixed various merge conflicts yesterday
  • Hoping to get the testing patch merged today, seems ready to go
  • Can help with CSS work or tickets from the next milestone

James[edit]

  • Deploying a UBN for the train right now, will miss stand-up, sorry (T219380)
  • On the SDC side, train looks good.
  • Pushing prod config for Commons federation and feature flag for UW metadata step today.

Matthias[edit]

  • UploadWizard/metadata done, ready for CR

Mark[edit]

  • Meetings, meetings, everywhere
  • Getting into the release thread - things look pretty good there mostly
  • Offsite stuff coming together slowly

Cormac[edit]

  • mostly wrangling tickets
  • code review too

Edward[edit]

  • Wrapping up some RW tasks then transitioning to MM


2019-03-26[edit]

Cormac[edit]

  • mostly trying to figure out the problems on beta with Matthias
  • missing standup cos of Tuesday's school pickup and the DST mismatch

HANA[edit]

  • will take some time to look at FileAnnotations codebase for the first time today just for future reference
  • watching the board for any tasks to pick up and to make sure tickets I have in code review get merged

Mark[edit]

  • Bug coordination fun times
  • Will have one ear open today for the doorbell, big delivery expected, hopefully not too distracting
  • Still looking at our status for a launch...

Eric[edit]

  • Will spend today shepherding patches, code review where appropriate; happy to pick up tasks that come up
  • Feel like everything I do is failing CI now
    • Confirmed, WMDE knows, it's UBN in their current workboard, there's a patch submitted

Template:Deindent it would be good to tag the ticket and mark it "tracking" on one of our boards. IRC and gchat both lack a pin feature. I could likely put it in the IRC channel topic but it might get forgotten there and I don't feel like that's very helpful okay well anything helps

Matthias[edit]

  • Debugging/fixing tabs on beta (fix in CR)

Keegan[edit]

  • Tinkering with messages until we're ready

Pam[edit]

  • Finishing touches on usability test. Will have to run the internal test sooner (with google forms) before the usertesting.com one, because our subscription lapsed before they sent us updated pricing
  • Keeping up with phab tickets & feedback
  • Worked with Keegan/Ramsey on the Depicts community feedback thing

James[edit]

  • CI blockage in Lexeme seems to be getting fixed; will be helping out.
  • Once that is fixed, we'll land ~six things that are already C+2'ed.
  • Follow-up on config flakiness from testing yesterday.
  • Train inspection duty!

Ramsey[edit]

  • tickets (reviewing, moving, creating)
  • a few meetings
  • will try to revisit my nemesis, QA checklist, but I suspect I will get waylaid by other issues


2019-03-25[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Caught up on most things after the weekend
  • Wrangling tasks to see where we are for a push this week or next
  • Might be in and out today, I was passed out on the couch for a good portion of yesterday and skipped out on some chores that I should probably do asap

Matthias[edit]

  • UploadWizard/metadata wrapping up

Pam[edit]

  • Updated the "Structured fields don't show a notice about IP logging for users who aren't logged in" ticket with designs/updated AC: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T218628
  • Working on putting the usability test where it needs to be (usertesting.com for new users, google forms for internal users)
  • Intermittent availability this afternoon (doctor's appt) but will be working later to make up for that
  • Matthias, sent you an email towards the end of last week - feedback/thoughts? (Qualifier popover layout adjustments)

Keegan[edit]

  • Community depicts testing things

Cormac[edit]

  • mostly code review, and reviewing some search changes

James[edit]

  • Will miss standup (RelEng weekly clashes)
  • After discussions with addshore over the weekend, I'll be changing the federation config in TestCommons which will hopefully fix T218921 but let's see.
  • Beta testing ahead of train cut; nothing I'm actively worrying about (yet).

Eric[edit]

  • Hoping to get JS unit test patch merged soon, but experiencing some weird CI failures in multiple patches (Wikibase Lexeme?) – not sure why that started happening
  • Same goes for CSS patch, ready to continue working on that stuff this week

HANA[edit]

  • Would like to see the CSS work finally merge - going to ping Pam to look over everything one more time as well
  • overrriding ooui defaults way too much? Yep, specificity hacking makes me :-(

Ramsey[edit]

  • Wikidata/Wikibase stuff
  • meetings
  • ticket updates
  • new tickets


2019=03-21[edit]

HANA[edit]

  • Finished design work on tabs for now - tried to make the diff as minimal as possible
  • refactor of CSS may be in order in the future- things are a bit hard to understand right now and maybe too scattered around
  • ^^ Eric and I talked about looking at this tomorrow and monday

Keegan[edit]

  • Writing things
    • Testing
    • Help page
  • Check up on community spaces

Matthias[edit]

  • UploadWizard now has "skip/publish" buttons on top, on metadata step
  • Work on search widget
  • Will update labs tomorrow (latest MediaInfo & UploadWizard, cleanup temp hacks from last week's tabs test, import some properties)

COrmac[edit]

  • why can't I ever type 'cormac' correctly on the first attempt? practice doesn't always make perfect
    • changing your name is the only solution
      • :D
  • merged Matthias's search patch
  • been looking at Eric's js test stuff
  • farting around with test-commons atm

Amanda[edit]

  • Buuuudgets
  • Lurking
  • Planning WMF/WMDE programmatic hangout in Berlin
  • Maybe talking with Leszek about non-blocker federation follow-up, if I have time

Eric[edit]

  • Unit test work is basically done but waiting on a new OOUI version to go out so I can remove my work-around code, open to review feedback in meantime
  • Started looking at CSS with Hana yesterday, will spend more time on that today.
  • Reorganizing CSS code and making more use of LESS features (variables, nesting, etc) may make frontend design changes faster/easier going forward

Pam[edit]

  • Making improvements to the Search qualifier popover
  • Finishing the usability test draft and sharing with a few designers for feedback

Ramsey[edit]

  • had a long chat with Edward late yesterday to help him get up to speed (more to come!)
  • back to tussling with edits and comments in the Wikidata docs
  • many meetings

Mark[edit]

  • Wrestling with API sandboxen, not going great
  • Few more meetings today
  • A few projects coming down the line, so helping to get those off the ground as needed

PL:

   @Ramsey ... should 'other statements' on file page be my Next Big Thing (unless someone else grabs it)


2019=03-20[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • No sleep, out today

Matthias[edit]

  • Search widget

Eric[edit]

  • On track to finish the unit test patch/refactor later today
    • It might be good for Edward to do some manual QA after this merges to ensure there are no regressions
  • Will return to UI tickets this afternoon
  • TechComm IRC meeting this afternoon about newfangled JavaScript

Pam[edit]

  • Worked with Hana on CSS polish for Captions/Depicts on Beta
  • Working on finishing the usability test for the Search prototype
  • One done, will put on usertesting.com and a slide deck (for internal users)

HANA[edit]

  • finishing up CSS work and getting PR up
  • main difficulty (for me personally) is trying to get some responsiveness and alignment without flexbox :-(

Mark[edit]

  • A few more meetings today and tomorrow
  • Checking up on federation push - @James
  • Checking out our Phabricator bits to make sure things are progressing, maybe some CR if I can get to it (and if we need it)
  • Seeing about future projects - FileAnnotations etc.

James[edit]

  • Happy Purim!
  • Security issues still making me sad.
  • Trying to get to the bottom of the federation tasks in Phab to work out if we're actually unblocked. T211800 T214557 etc.
  • Train about to go out to group0, will be doing checks.

Cormac[edit]

  • fixed a little display bug (the dropdown one)
  • reading other people's code

Ramsey[edit]

  • meetings
  • roped into the Wikibase/Wikidata docs again for a bit, unfortunately
  • still tussling with my nemesis, the QA checklist


2019-03-19[edit]

Cormac[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • Meetings!
  • Writing messaging and communications where possible through the day

Pam[edit]

  • Meetingful afternoon today, starting now!
  • Working on the script for testing basic search (usertesting.com + WMF folks) - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T216774
  • Keeping up with the search prototype progress & phab replies (thanks Matthias!)

Eric[edit]

  • Rebuilt my dev environment for the Nth time yesterday
  • Will aim to finalize the patch for headless node testing today/tomorrow now that dev team is on board

Matthias[edit]

  • Labs should be stable again
  • Search fixes

Mark[edit]

  • Catch-up seems to be done!
  • Meetings today, fun times
  • Doing some Phabricator wandering now that it's back up (got disrupted yesterday, sigh)

HANA[edit]

James[edit]

  • Will miss standup (Pipeline weekly clashes, boo)
  • Checking out Test Commons; things provisionally look well.
  • New unit test work from Eric looks good.
  • Security issues make me sad.


2019-03-18[edit]

James[edit]

  • Will miss standup (RelEng weekly clashes)
  • Checking out Beta Cluster; things provisionally look well.
  • Some UBN bugs I'm going to get dragged into, I imagine. :-(
  • Federation enablement time for TestCommons? yaaaassss

Keegan[edit]

  • Getting documentation together for depicts
  • Usual community checks

Eric[edit]

  • Continued working on Node-Qunit patch, starting to undestand how to make everything fit together
  • Really taking advantage of JS unit testing will require some (mostly minor) reorganization in our code, so worth having a dev chat this week please schedule it I'm down!
  • Have been following Matthias' search patch to understand how that feature is built

HANA[edit]

  • watching Data for Product video
  • keeping an eye on board for any work to pick up
  • still fiddling with my local dev setup

Ramsey[edit]

  • seemingly done with Wikidata/Wikibase docs for now
  • will hunker down on the QA checklist (it's the final countdown!)
  • going over the new work on labs and bug spotting

Mark[edit]

  • New A/V setup, testing it out
    • You are very sharp, Mark
  • Catching up on all the business that happened while I was out

Pam[edit]

  • Working on the script for testing basic search (usertesting.com + WMF folks) - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T216774
  • Filing tickets for the search prototype... have some more coming (text and input field size)

Matthias[edit]

  • Updated placeholder copy in search
  • Looking into OOUI fixes/changes/hacks required for search

(sick - little progress today)


2019-03-14[edit]

HANA[edit]

  • it only took 2.5 hours for me to try and do code review for search :) . lots of new stuff yay
  • continuing work in CaptionsPanel (and making a testing doc for expected behavior since need to make sure i don't break things). May add unit tests if Eric's work goes through

James[edit]

  • Will miss standup (retrospective on-boarding clashes)
  • OOUI stuff landed and we cut the release, finally!
  • Will poke at the tabs patch a bit.
  • Note the wikimedia-l thread about how the Foundation doesn't fix bugs for the community; UploadWizard is mentioned.

Eric[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Tabs

Keegan[edit]

  • Not much SDC today, meetings and CE mid-term planning

Pam[edit]

  • Been Phabbing yay! new templates in action!
  • Started a script for testing basic search (usertesting.com + WMF folks)

Cormac[edit]

  • tabs working, almost
  • been chasing up Jon Robson on those CI failures Hana (everyone) is having with UploadWizard
    • Now fixed, James is landing everything in sight.

Edward[edit]

  • ticket process deck

Amanda[edit]

  • Almost not sick!

Ramsey[edit]

  • Wikidata/Wikibase docs still
  • prepping stuff for more Campaign discussion later
  • tickets!
  • reaaallly trying to complete QA checklist
    • Pleeeeeeeease. I want this more than I want a puppy. (Or campaigns.)


2019-03-13[edit]

James[edit]

  • Will miss standup (RelEng team meeting clashes)
  • Getting the OOUI stuff over the line, hopefully, and then released. Gosh. [Gee Whiz, man!]

HANA[edit]

  • UploadWizard copy change keeps failing test on some merge issue in quibble-vendor-mysql-hhvm-docker tests https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T218172 - thx James for noticing
  • Finishing up captions publish button refactor
  • dedicating time to code review of search work thus far

Eric[edit]

  • Working on getting some node-based QUnit tests working, discovering lots of interesting things in the process

Keegan[edit]

  • In the Community Engagement department meeting
  • Talk pages, abuse filters, phabricator, oh my!

Ramsey[edit]

  • as usual, Wikidata/Wikibase doc editing
  • I really am working on the QA checklist! It's complicated!
  • usual ticket monitoring/maintenance
  • giving Matthias things to do, apparently ;)

Pam[edit]

^^That's a pretty deck, Pam!

  • Fingers crossed that I begin test protocol writing soon based on deck

Matthias[edit]

  • Not much
    • Some Vagrant fixing
    • Some random testing & poking around MI/depicts

Amanda[edit]

  • so disgusting
  • will send wikidaheim project doc

Cormac[edit]

  • Ed Sanders has taken over the OOUI patch - he seems to have all the tests passing now, but there's still a minor code sniff blocking merge ... so now I can go back to the mediainfo patch that sits on top of that
  • doing some reviewing

Edward[edit]

Cannot attend Standup due to conflicting meeting Try to meet with Ramsey Respond to items in email from Ramsey


2019-03-12[edit]

Cormac[edit]

  • will miss standup (DST discrepancy means Tuesday's school collection run clashes), should be back for story meeting
  • federation on beta working, BUT search index is not being written to because of this https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T215339 ("No jobs running on beta cluster") ... IMO this shouldn't block deployment
  • down to 42 test failures (out of 11662 tests) on tabs - have a new way of tracking down failures, so expect to be finished soon (for real this time)

James[edit]

  • Will miss standup (Deployments Pipeline team meeting clashes); am now back in the office, working US hours
  • Going to try to help Cormac with the OOUI stuff.

HANA[edit]

  • working more on the captions refactor ticket https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T217777 but grabbing anything higher priority if I see it
  • two little lang change related patches up for review
  • looking more at js testing stuff before meeting today

Eric[edit]

  • Working on getting JS unit tests in MediaInfo extension
  • Meeting w/developers from Readers Web today to learn about their node-based command line test setup

Matthias[edit]

  • Search prototype patch functional again - ready for code review

Keegan[edit]

  • See what Commons was up to over the weekend

Amanda[edit]

  • WD/WB
  • Sick, will probably not really work this afternoon :( :( feel better soon
  • Still stalking you all

Pam[edit]

  • (Still!) finishing up persona slide deck

Edward[edit]

  • gonna chat with Ramsey

Ramsey[edit]

  • Wikidata/Wikibase docs
  • doing some ticket stuff (including adding new to-do stuff)


2019-03-11[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Search (initial patch) almost ready for review

Pam[edit]

  • Finishing up persona slide deck
  • Meeting with Ramsey (maybe?)
  • Housekeeping

HANA[edit]

Cormac[edit]

  • still working on tabs
  • beta seems to be pretty much done


2019-03-07[edit]

Pam[edit]

  • Sharing persona drafts at design:dev meeting
  • Spending the rest of the day making a slide deck with personas & design interventions. Will share out EOD.
  • Tomorrow, shifting to an earlier schedule (7a-3p EST) and will focus on ticket updating/test planning

Keegan[edit]

  • Draft a community update on tentative release timeframes

James[edit]

  • I think we need to drop the default config for depicts -> P1 so we can test on Beta Cluster; anyone object?
  • I'll be back in SF from Monday, yay. (But Monday's a Foundation holiday.)

Matthias[edit]

  • Working on search prototype

Eric[edit]

HANA[edit]

  • starting work on a refactor ticket https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T217777
  • went to COO with Janeen office hours this morning and they were great- I recommend catching one of the timeslots - there are two left

Mark[edit]

  • Moar meetinz
  • Last time I'll see most of you before disappearing - see you in a week and change!

Amanda[edit]

  • No wd/wb papers! What will I even do with myself?
  • Oh right, GOALZ, quarterly and annual :)

Cormac[edit]

  • submitted the 58th patchset for the php OOUI stuff (sighs) - still failing, Ed still helping out
  • wikidata wbsearchentities workaround going ok so far ...

Ramsey[edit]

  • Meetings
  • Ticket review
  • Still doing WD/WB docs
  • still trying to finish QA checklist


2019-03-06[edit]

HANA[edit]

  • going back to trying to update my local docker environment
  • thanks matthias for review and comments on doc changes - any one else feel free to add
  • might look into qunit if there's time

Matthias[edit]

  • Gerrit maintenance (respond to feedback, code review, ...)
  • Updated labs: submit button state now testable
  • Wrote down some random MW dev trivia for Eric & Hana THANK YOU. and more please+1
  • Working on search prototype

Keegan[edit]

  • Still not feeling well. Unless something exciting happens, probably going to use the sick bank rest up, hope you are feeling better soon

Cormac[edit]

  • (sighs)
    •  :(
  • still working through test failures in the php OOUI patch with Ed
  • may no longer be blocked on beta - Adam had an idea, trying it out atm
    • :D

Eric[edit]

Mark[edit]

Pam[edit]

  • Focusing on just one thing today: finishing the personas
  • Vet appt from 2:30-3:30 EST

Amanda[edit]

  • WD/WB papers :(

Ramsey[edit]

  • Wikidata/Wikibase stuff
  • Meetings
  • Trying to get to the QA checklist (again)


2019-03-05[edit]

Pam[edit]

  • Out sick today.

HANA[edit]

  • took a look at this issue with cacheing/double captions https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T217598 - seems similar to https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T216327 (the duplicate captions have mw:mediainfoview element)
  • been doing code review when I can - let me know if there's more I could be doing in this arena
  • have follow up to complete from yesterday's meeting with Brennan re: developer productivity/documentation

Matthias[edit]

  • Updated labs to current master (fixed "Revision with ID not found" and "Invalid claim guid" errors)
  • Wrapped up "remove statement/learn more" patch and Nirzar's requested changes to depicts
  • Might take another look at OOUI infuse thuff (for tabs) tomorrow
  • After that, probably back to fixing up search proto tomorrow

Ramsey[edit]

  • met with J. Linehan about Better use of Data with Mark
  • more Wikibase/Wikidata document stuff
  • Quarterly goals time!
  • will try to get the QA checklist in reasonable shape today

James[edit]

  • Poked more at Cormac's OOUI tabs patch with Ed; might have a fix.
  • Initial testing of the new train on TestCommons looks OK.
  • [In clashing SSD meeting.]

Eric[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Had a quick chat this morning about Better Use of Data and how we do (or don't do) instrumentation
  • In case you missed it, I'm out next week on holiday - ping me anyway, I'm not going anywhere
  • Other assorted meetings today and tomorrow as usual

Amanda[edit]

  • Reaching out to/responding to grant reviewers
  • Reading WD/WB strategy papers

Cormac[edit]

  • still tring to get the php OOUI patch past all the tests - have been getting some very useful help from Ed Sanders (down to 63 test failures (from 277 earlier in the day))
  • still blocked on beta - managed to convince addshore that there's a problem, I *hope* he's looking into it but I don't know

PL:

  • Federation not working

Hana's suggestion: we could create documentation that shows every api request not returning expected data. and have that be our test cases for beta/ production or anywhere else and that way they know what we are testing against too.

2019-03-04[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Helped out with tabs a little bit
  • Fixed "Revision with ID not found." and "Invalid claim guid." errors
  • Probably fixed lack of captions edit button (can't reproduce)
  • Back to fixing up search proto tomorrow

James[edit]

  • Am ill, sorry. :-(
  • Poked a bunch at Cormac's tabs OOUI patch, hopefully helped more than hindered.
  • CI gremlins stopped a merge of Matthias's, which should land now.
  • So. Many. E-mails.

Eric[edit]

  • Continued work on Docker dev env setup, got PHP debugger working; meeting w/Brennen B this afternoon to talk about improving docs for these tools
  • Ready to tackle more design/front-end related tickets but was waiting for the big tab layout patch to land first
  • Will continue looking at Q-unit stuff in meantime

HANA[edit]

Pam[edit]

  • Working on illustrating some additional design changes per Nirzar
  • Still wrapping up Audience Mapping to features and fleshing out the personas

Mark[edit]

  • A few meetings, nothing too crazy
  • Bicycle milestone is populated, probably needs some cleanup
  • Could add stuff to catamaran, but would maybe prefer to clean up bicycle first

Keegan[edit]

  • Massive headache, probably taking off the rest of the day after task planning if it's not better hope you feel better keegan soon

Ramsey[edit]

  • Wikidata/Wikibase stuff again
  • meetings
  • checking tickets for things we may have missed and new complaints (if any)

Amanda[edit]

  • Reaching out to/responding to grant reviewers
  • GLAM pilot contract complpications (not blocked by this team)
  • Can someone talk with Eugene about a gamified microcontribution tool for Wiki Loves Africa?
  • So much Wikidata/Wikibase stuff
  • Ask Legal about a one-button caption solution

Cormac[edit]

  • federation working as expected on labs now, with help from Leszek
  • still not working properly on beta
  • still haven't gotten the OOUI patch through CI - realised what I was doing wrong, hopefully tomorrow


Impromptu Process Chat[edit]

  • What is in flight, and what needs to be done for the next release?
  • To-do on the SDC eng board is essentially a backlog column. It is a pile, and it's not clear what we've decided to go ahead with. On depicts crawling, we have decided to do those thngs. Would be nice to make SDC engineering the work that we know we are doing now or next, rather than a backlog for the future.
  • Having one work chunk that we are focusing on has allowed us to be more rigorous in breaking down the work chunk, and we are surfacing risk as a result.
  • It's not always clear where tickets should be or where tickets are.
  • It's good to have a specific place to look somewhere and know what I need to do. Is SDC Eng where I go to get stuff to do while waiting for next milestone?