Multimedia/Standup notes/2018/November

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search


2018-11-29[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • Sorting out the properties process options
  • Meetings
  • Stuff for my team

Pam[edit]

  • AbuseFilter UX
  • Search results wireframing, continued

Cormac[edit]

  • working on error msg display for abuse filter - thought I'd have it ready by now, but have a kinda disturbed afternoon (school bus blocked by an overturned tractor!)

Amanda[edit]

  • responding to process email (sorry)
  • bothering Alan about financial projections

Mark[edit]

  • A few meetings to start the day
  • Catching up on a few things, I think I'm nearly recovered
  • Making a decision on hiring tomorrow

Ramsey[edit]

  • Meetingpalooza returns!
  • Beta is *supposed* to be back up, going to try to do testing there. UPDATE: Beta is not okay.


2018-11-28[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Hiring update
  • Apparently troubleshooting labs/beta in between meetings

Pam[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • Everything is awesome! (and by awesome I mean broken - e.g. beta and labs)
  • Started on system stories yesterday, will continue to do so today
  • Bugging Cormac and James about various coding things

Cormac[edit]

  • moving postion of structured data and order of languages MERGED!
  • was looking at UW and depicts
  • now gonna look at error reporting on captions on UW


2018-11-27[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Illustrious privilege of dealing with DMV stuff today...
  • More catch-up because it never ends

Ramsey[edit]

  • Will try to QA Beta again (if it works), if not, more testing of AbuseFilter on labs
  • Working on "system stories" that detail all these new "How is this supposed to work?" questions with this new platform
  • Dipping a toe back into 3-5 year planning stuff

Pam[edit]

  • wireframing search results
  • meeting prep for tomorrow's many-meeting day

James[edit]

  • Gah, everything about MediaWiki is terrible.
  • Working with Cormac (with much-appreciated help from Daniel) on the T205891 patch. We got it working except it breaks other extensions like Cite, which means we didn't get it working. Cormac's now working on approach #4, which we have a good feeling about.
  • Need to work out exactly what's broken with Beta Cluster still, sorry.

Cormac[edit]

  • As James says - working on T205891 (which is moving the captions and ordering the languages)


2018-11-26[edit]

Pam[edit]

  • wireframing search results
  • meeting w/ ramsey after retro/task(???) planning
  • later this week (Wed) will be in a two-hour workshop for editing wikipedia

Keegan[edit]

  • Talking with team members about property creation inspiration
  • Getting the beta announcement out when we're ready
  • Car shopping

Ramsey =[edit]

  • Catching up on tickets that came in during the holiday
  • Back to QA on Beta
  • Getting into debates as necessary :)
  • PL: Retro or TP

Mark[edit]

  • That was some kind of a break
  • Catch-up time
  • Not much MCR update today, they're trying to keep plugging away at our blockers

Amanda[edit]

  • Do you need things from me?
  • WMDEF trip, Ramsey?

James[edit]

  • Talking again to Wikidata team about my work on T209736 and T208993
  • Need to pick back up review, starting with Cormac's patch for T205891 (yay)
  • Find out why Beta is still broken for Ramsey

cormac[edit]

  • T205891 is a work in progress still ... bugfixing on language order, and generally tearing my hair out


2018-11-21[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • Mainly non-SDC stuff today, CommRel strategic planning
  • Gonna read some old property proposals and cry a little bit about what we need done

Mark[edit]

  • Labs instance appears to be working. For how long? Who can say. (we're getting migrated on 11-28)
  • Meeting day!
  • Probably skipping out after the last meeting to go grocery shopping. We'll see how much I can get done in between things.

Pam[edit]

  • Been iterating on search results (will continue)
  • Thoughts on Image Annontator & AI suggested tagging
  • FORGOT: have to test AbuseFilter also!

Ramsey[edit]

  • So many meetings. Not gonna be my most productive day.
  • Yesterday i started testing AbuseFilter on labs. It halfway works. Need to get in there more, will try to today. DON'T! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE ON HOLIDAY!
  • Catching up on ticket updates

Cormac[edit]

  • Moving the content is working - haven't submitted a patch yet, because I'm having to do the babel/language stuff at the same time


2018-11-20[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Happy monthly Google Logs You Out Day
  • A few meetings to get out of the way early today
  • Catching up on email, phab, etc.
  • A few things to wrap up on hiring (brief update)
  • David from Search is going to take a look at our Labs instance to work out what's not working.

Pam[edit]

  • Iterating on search results page

James[edit]

  • Some progress.

Cormac[edit]

  • moving those captions isn't going well, let's talk about it

Ramsey[edit]

  • QA was disrupted by beta move yesterday. Hoping for improvement today.
  • had a meeting with Lydia and Lea from WMDE about community property creation (results are not promising, but we're gonna try)


2018-11-19[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • can't make standup
  • Finalizing help page for captions
  • Meetings

Cormac[edit]

  • been trying to find a way to change the position of the structured data on the File page without using js
  • don't know what to do next with the back button thing

Mark[edit]

  • One of these days I'll get used to my new laptop's keyboard
  • MCR team update
    • AbuseFilter stuff - patch shouuuuuld be up on the labs instance ready for testing(?) but waiting for confirmation there
    • SlotRoleHandler - could be a while. What are our options?
  • Hiring update (brief)

James[edit]

Amanda[edit]

  • Is trying to leave you all alone to get shit done
  • But ping me if you need me!

Pam[edit]

  • Going over the search results filter bar requirements with Ramsey today, as well as sharing some initial sketches

Ramsey[edit]

  • E-mail threads on SlotRoleHandler and AbuseFilter
  • Testing on Labs for AbuseFilter fixes if it's there


2018-11-15[edit]

Cormac[edit]

  • did an interview
  • bugfixing ...

Mark[edit]

  • Hiring stuff: Some interviews today and tomorrow, possible offer
  • Meetings most of the day
  • Otherwise, keeping up with emails and trying to get back into other work (Phab/Gerrit rounds basically)

Keegan[edit]

  • Head still like glass from yesterday's migraine, taking it easy
  • Sandra finished up her newsletter stuff, so finishing that up
  • Need to close the statements conversation
  • Non-SDC stuff

Pam[edit]

  • design brief for search results filter bar

Ramsey[edit]

  • QA continues
  • Will write initial text for the community announcement that Beta is ready for poking at
  • Reading Sandra's updates about potential pilot partners

Amanda[edit]

  • Still want to do dev page cleaning
  • But working on lots of non-SDC, so will be distracted

James[edit]

  • Bug fixing.
  • Caption length config fixing – what length do we want?


2018-11-14[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • I've had two meetings and gained an awful headache. Might not work the rest of the day.
  • Sandra is adding her stuff to the newsletter tonight (NA time), sending out the newsletter tomorrow
  • Looking slightly outside the active abuse filter maintainers to find input for the MCR stuff

Mark[edit]

  • Successfully moved out yesterday!
  • Meeting day today!
  • Various other busywork and catch-up
  • Hiring stuff will probably come to a head tomorrow

Cormac[edit]

  • trying out a very hacky fix for the back button thing ...

James[edit]

  • I'm back. Reviewing remaining blockers. Error/CAPTCHA support editing needed, it seems.

Pam[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • Meetings!
  • QA on Beta Commons continues
  • Perhaps some debates via email :)

Amanda[edit]


2018-11-13[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Ramsey: You need to help Daniel test his AbuseFilter/MediaInfo patch(es) on the labs instance, he's not sure it won't crash the site
  • I have to jet right after the standup to get rid of a bunch of garbage in my old apartment, give it a quick wipe-down, and then I'm completely moved out.
  • Once I get back home, I'll blow through the rest of my backlogs, conduct a quick interview, and ideally be ready for the meeting onslaught tomorrow

Pam[edit]

  • Will be finishing the UI copy audit today and sharing with the team, as well as Sandra, whom I've asked for feedback from
  • exicited to get that out for feedback, because then I can start on search results (primarily designing a filter bar)
  • been keeping up with phab tickets & adding comments where i can

2018-11-12[edit]

Amanda[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • QA on Beta continues (looking good though)
  • Sketching out how we manage to work on v1 depicts and other statements while simultaneously fixing Beta

Cormac[edit]

  • looking at the analytics/event logging stuff
  • wanna talk about that back button problem


2018-11-08[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Coming out of a hiring hole to try and recover my inbox today
  • Tomorrow we'll be making some decisions
  • Long weekend starts tomorrow - US employees will be off until Tuesday

James[edit]

  • More working with WMDE on blockers.
  • I'll be at a conference on Monday/Tuesday.

Pam[edit]

  • UI copy audit continues

Cormac[edit]

  • think I'll give up on this bug https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T208260 because I can't find any way of sensibly reproducing it
  • are there any blockers I can work on? If not will start on the search results smooshed thing

Ramsey[edit]

  • QA continues
  • Emails and debates :)
  • Still deciding if I'll take Monday or Tuesday off


2018-11-07[edit]

Cormac[edit]

Pam[edit]

  • UI copy audit continues

Keegan[edit]

  • Getting the newsletter mostly done
  • Check up on wiki stuff

Mark[edit]

  • Hiring stuff: Looking mostly set - will knock through the rest of it today
  • Meeting day has returned

James[edit]

  • UW working again.
  • Unset caption design change landed too.
  • Looking at Cormac's patch right now.

Ramsey[edit]

  • QA! Checking fixes and finding more things
  • Light on meetings today, but a decent amount of administrative stuff to do


2018-11-06[edit]

Cormac[edit]

  • isEmpty patch merged
  • working on the weird error when adding labels ... I might be making a little bit of progress, or I might be kidding myself. Time will tell

Pam[edit]

  • Made a bunch of tickets yesterday
  • Continuing with the UI copy stuff

Ramsey[edit]

  • QA today (so many things are broken)
  • Emails about the Flickr policy change, monitoring licensing statement convo

Mark[edit]

  • Hiring reviews almost done...then we just interview and see what happens
  • Voting in the late afternoon, so will be afk earlier than usual

James[edit]

  • Spent most of yesterday understanding situation and fixing a couple of nasty bugs (in Wikidata and Translate) that between them broke everything.
  • Grabbed a quick design ticket from Pam this morning.


2018-11-05[edit]

James[edit]

  • The MCR team have just switched all production to "write both, read new" (T198308); this wasn't a blocker for us as they did Commons early, but is nice. T198312 can begin.
  • Blocker stuff.

Pam[edit]

  • Continuing work on the UI copy audit
  • Finishing up Depicts Search prototype feedback (will be writing a phab ticket for it)

Keegan[edit]

  • Statements convo
  • Mostly it for SDC today

Amanda[edit]

  • Reviewing GLAM stuff from Sandra
  • Reschedule launch sync, Mark?
  • Thinking about baselines again
  • Gone Tue - Thurs, please mark urgent things urgent

Mark[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • QA for the SDC stuff
  • Communicating the things to the people

Cormac[edit]

  • updated isEmpty patch based on review
  • finished first rough cut of 'virtual statements' prototype, chased Adam for feedback
  • started EventLogging stuff


2018-11-01[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Hiring stuff progress! People in the queue.
  • Today: A few meetings, then hopefully slamming through stuff that I've been dropping

James[edit]

Pam[edit]

  • Designed & emailed revised license mocks to Keegan
  • Interviewing a candidate today
  • Continuing to work on the UI copy audit

Keegan[edit]

  • IRC office hours
  • Statements 2 posting

Ramsey[edit]

  • IRC office hours.
  • licensing v2 stuff
  • will sketch out "New Commons" a bit more if I have time