Multimedia/Standup notes/2018/February

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

2018-02-01[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • I don't have much today - where did my time go? :o
  • Dockerizing things
  • Administration, expense reports, ...
  • Pam: there is no geocoding (address -> coord) support

Mark[edit]

  • Meetings yesterday, no progress
  • Today: Wow, no meetings. Maybe some more worldview-adjusting and code explorations.

Cormac[edit]

  • Got cirrus search extension working locally with help from David Causse
  • Now and for the next few days will be poking around with wikibase and elastic search

Ramsey[edit]

  • Documentation for discussing future of commons
  • Discuss filename discussion with Amanda
  • Impromptu meetings

Pam[edit]

  • Working on File page, research & sketching some ideas

Keegan[edit]

  • Document liaison communication strategy for SDoC

Amanda[edit]

  • Annual planning - transfigure roadmap into the plan, look into budgets

Max[edit]

  • No MM updates


2018-02-03[edit]

Matthias[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Filename obviation: Gilles is unsure about our use-cases. Meeting with Pam and Ramsey likely.
  • Code: Not much progress due to last-minute day off on Friday; stepping back in to play with pulling the WB editing interface onto file pages
  • Anything for SoS?

Pam[edit]

  • Still on file page work - sketches by end of today

Keegan[edit]

  • Setting us up an Extension:Newsletter copy
  • IRC office hours coming up

Ramsey[edit]

  • Documentation about team processes, ...
  • Annual planning stuff
  • Go over 3D, hopefully we can launch this week
  • Updating docs for search user story

Cormac[edit]

  • Fiddling with Wikibase
  • CR


2018-02-06[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Worked a little bit on fixing the MediaInfo patch for filename lookups, seems to be some middleman stuff I'm not getting
  • Today, continuing there, then on to file page edit interface stuff if it all goes well
  • Tomorrow: Meeting frenzy

Pam[edit]

  • Still working on Filepage (display)

Ramsey[edit]

  • Yesterday, wrote and participated in a number of email threads about future work
  • Today, striving to flesh out more Search user stories


2018-02-07[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Yesterday made limited progress on getting information about MediaInfo patch
  • Last night: Caucus night in Minnesota, stressful and tiring but ultimately a fun experience
  • Today: meetings meetings meetings meetings (maybe a nap)

Ramsey[edit]

  • Yesterday: Worked on search, user stories
  • Researching past RfCs and other requests about search improvements
  • Meeting: Advanced search
  • Email thread...(Mark to respond)
  • Future of Commons (in progress)

Cormac[edit]

  • Wikibase/MediaInfo all set up
  • Talking with Search people re: how to move forward

Pam[edit]

  • Meeeeeeetings
  • File Page layout progress

Keegan[edit]

  • Closing discussion on Commons
  • Meetings!
  • Sending notice about SD office hour
  • Management course

Matthias[edit]

  • 3d2png didn't get deployed yesterday, trying again tonight
  • Asked Greg for deployment window for the rest of 3D work
  • Figuring out why scap-deploy didn't work
  • page_props patch - timing issue

2018-02-08[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • 3d2png deployed
  • Ext:3D not yet deployed (waiting for deploy window)
  • Fixed page_props
  • Did some minor preparation for UW changes

Mark[edit]

  • Yesterday: Only meetings
  • Today: Making another push on the MediaInfo patch
  • Tomorrow: Back to 10% time project

Ramsey[edit]

  • Lots of meetings
  • Fleshing out search userstories/wireframing
  • Ontology discussion

Cormac[edit]

  • Poking around Wikibase

Pam[edit]

  • Working on File page & showing progress in next meeting

Max[edit]

  • Fixing Phlogiston

Keegan[edit]

  • Going through Phab tasks
  • Unavailable tomorrow

2018-02-12[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Today: Got a concession out of WMDE, can move forward with some MediaInfo work, hopefully major progress today
  • Also, hopefully moving forward with other MediaInfo work on pulling editing interface into File Page
  • Maybe: Starting to think about how we mess up the Wikibase UX to make it better for our users

Matthias[edit]

  • UW multilingual captions
  • Fixed badge/placeholder overlay
  • 3D deploy tomorrow

Amanda[edit]

  • Bother Ramsey about allocations for next year
  • Putting together annual planning program template narrative

Cormac[edit]

  • Getting to know search

Keegan[edit]

  • Looking over ontology draft
  • Read email from Lydia

Max[edit]

  • Not feeling well
  • Came to unblock 3D but it's already g2g
  • Going to work with Data Analysts, so less with MM starting March 1

Pam[edit]

  • Need feedback on new File page designs

Ramsey[edit]

  • Going over new File page designs
  • Prepare for 3D deploy (blog post etc.)

2018-02-13[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • 3D deployed on Commons
    • Hold off announcements for a day - bug in Safari

Mark[edit]

  • MediaInfo change hit a snag, trying to sort it out
  • Interrupts today (appointment, a meeting or two)

Ramsey[edit]

  • Working on blog post & announcement for 3D
  • IRC office hours
  • Meeting with Sandra about list of Pain for GLAM using commons
  • 1on1 with Pam - talking about search features, depicts etc.
  • Talking about George Oates partnership

Cormac[edit]

  • Wikibase & search - figuring out how it all works
  • 3D CR

Pam[edit]

  • Revising wireframes - waiting for input
  • Looking into search requirements (autocomplete, autosuggest, ...)
  • <missed this - lost connection>

2018-02-14[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Meeeeeeeeeetings
  • Won't be much progress due to ^
  • Hopefully can work out some MediaInfo stuff later in the day
  • PL: Got a bunch of random unrelated hobby-work piled onto me yesterday night, maybe.

Cormac[edit]

  • Working through search for multilingual captions - reading a lot of code, talking to the search team

Keegan[edit]

  • Reviewing office hours logs
  • Meetings

Pam[edit]

  • Finalize UploadWizard designs

Ramsey[edit]

  • Review 3D (announcement not until Monday)
  • Chat with Pam about design stuff
  • Continue working on product requirements for various things (search, file page)
  • Collecting feedback & comments for ^

Matthias[edit]

  • 3D thingies
    • Prep for deploying 3D (for viewing) to all wikis
    • FOUC
    • Fix badge in MMV

2018-02-15[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Going back & forth over FOUC with Ed (merged)
  • Testing 3D in different wiki configurations (for deployment on all wikis, viewing only)
  • Need to update mw.org Extension:3D page, hopelessly outdated

Mark[edit]

  • Yesterday: Meetings as expected
  • Back to work today on MediaInfo stuff, hoping to make progress
  • Long night (real life interrupts)

Cormac[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • Lot of open space for impromptu conversations today
  • Retro
  • Lots of emails to send and read
  • Curating phab tickets on SDC and MM boards

Pam[edit]

  • Still getting internal feedback on File Page wireframes, and I am working on a revised set in the meantime.

Keegan[edit]

Amanda[edit]

  • Finishing budgetting things
  • Working on annual planning narrative template

Max[edit]

  • No MM update



2018-02-20[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Checked out Pam designs
  • Bunch of small 3d thingies
  • Will work on UploadWizard SDoC changes tomorrow

Pam[edit]

  • working on multilingual captions: file page (iterative change) and upload wizard

Mark[edit]

  • Progress on MediaInfo! Finally found time to delve in and start testing things. Patch going up soon.
  • Next: File page editing interface stuff
  • PL/social/chatter: Minnesota enters the next stage of a constitutional crisis at noon

Ramsey[edit]

  • Meetings
  • Keeping an eye on 3D announcement (today!)
  • Surprise meetings

Amanda[edit]

  • We have a SDC FY18-19 budget
  • Today: SDC FY18-19 budget reconciliation
  • Gonna email y'all about Annual Plan Program Narrative measures
  • So many meetings

2018-02-21[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Working on UploadWizard multilingual captions
  • (if all goed well later today) 3D on all wikis tomorrow

Amanda[edit]

  • MM budget looks good!
  • Today: Still gonna email y'all about measures
  • Gonna ask Ramsey to fill out outputs for MM in AP narrative
  • Wrapping up List of Pain Outreach/Product division of responsibility

Mark[edit]

  • Testing MediaInfo patch - not working quite yet, some changes to be made (I think to tests, not code)
  • meetingpocalypse

Ramsey[edit]

  • meetings
  • emails about various things including MPEG-2, 3D uploads from myminifactory, etc.
  • getting more detials about who our data analyst will be (and assigning them at least 1 task)
  • whatever else people surprise me with :)

Pam[edit]

  • Finished a first pass of MLC on File Page (interaction flow - two of 'em) & sent to Ramsey
  • Sooooo many meetings today!
  • Been reading up on Search stories/epics/sagas and all other search-related stuff to prep for a Search meeting

Cormac[edit]

Keegan[edit]

  • meetings first half of the day
  • watching the ontology conversation
  • starting prep for the structured licenses talk - looking through the presentations, docs, and other resources from legal from 2014
    • I'll be talking with some of you in more detail later this week/next week about this

2018-02-22[edit]

Matthias[edit]

Video call might not work - on reduced bandwith

  • 3D on all wikis
    • Some small 3D fixed (FOUC etc.) that were supposed to be deployed yesterday didn't happen - deployment train rolled back
  • Working on UploadWizard multilingual captions
  • CR Brion's 3d2png testing patches tomorrow

Max[edit]

  • Nothing special from me today :)

Keegan[edit]

  • Posting one-week reminders about ontology
  • Going over the stuff Stephen sent me from Legal about licensing

Pam[edit]

  • Wireframing File Page MLC captions

Mark[edit]

  • Brute-forcing through the MediaInfo test failure that remains...
  • Matthias: Refactor 3d code paths?
  • Heads-up: We may be in for a political storm about properties (maybe already mentioned recently?)
  • Sent email about being away on Monday, should be back on Tuesday

Cormac[edit]

  • stuck on a unit test for the MediaInfo searching patch ... think it might be untestable, but wanna be sure before I move on
  • next - deploy MediaInfo to labs

Ramsey[edit]

  • Meetings
  • talking to potential partners for 3D files and tech platforms
  • more spec and requirement stuff for various features
  • still looking into the Wikibase federation thing

Amanda[edit]

  • Thanks to those who commented on measurements! I will bother you more
  • Compiling/reviewing outputs for AP Narrative. Mark and Ramsey will need to review

2018-02-26[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Merged Brion's 3d2png testing patches
  • Looking into T185783 (some thumbs don't match source image) - more tomorrow
  • Back to UW multilingual captions tomorrow
  • Any SoS updates?

Pam[edit]

  • Putting finishing touches on the "adding multilingual captions to file page" wireframe clickable prototype
  • Returning to the "forward-thinking filepage" wireframes
  • Forgot: have a meeting with Ramsey & Nirzar about designing advanced search

Ramsey[edit]

  • Meetings
  • Talking to various entities/people about 3D content partnerships
  • Reading/posting on community consultations

Cormac[edit]

  • Got comments on my MediaInfo patch
  • Erik suggests I talk to the WMDE folks to ask them about MCR and wikidata infobox templates

Keegan[edit]

  • Checking up on Ontology conversation
  • That's it for MM for the day I believe

2018-02-27[edit]

Pam[edit]

  • Working on revising the "forward-thinking filepage" wireframes

Cormac[edit]

  • working on comments from MediaInfo search patch
  • me and Matthias did some work on MediaInfo on federated commons on labs
  • should have updated patch tomorrow

Matthias[edit]

  • Updated MediaInfo on labs instance with Cormac
  • Working on UW multilingual captions

Amanda[edit]

  • Review Pam's FPFC designs
    • FPFC is the sound an arrow makes when it misses you and hits the wall behind
  • Check in with JMo about Commonst curator research
  • Final budget reconciliation for AP SDC
  • Work with GLAM team to define prelim GLAM conference program
  • Work with GLAM team to reach out to affiliates for WMCon session planning
  • Cormac and Ramsey there are some juicy questions for you on the tech rec talk page

Mark[edit]

  • I am alive! (Yay!!)
  • Today: Some recovery, trying to get back on track, hopefully can push the next version of the MI patch so someone at WMDE can take a look

Ramsey[edit]

  • Discussions with potential partners for 3D content (and maybe tech)
  • Speccing out high-level search requirements a bit more for Nirzar and Pam
  • Hoping to get more user stories into the doc

2018-02-28[edit]

Pam[edit]

  • A meetingful day
  • Working mostly on Search today
  • Hoping to fit some forward-thinking filepage work

Matthias[edit]

  • Working on UW multilingual captions

Mark[edit]

  • Gone meetin' most of the day
  • Got a final(?) patch version up for the MediaInfo API - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/391052 - Cormac/Matthias plz to reviewing
  • Next: Finally, pull Wikibase editing interface into file page (I've only been talking about it for like three weeks)

Ramsey[edit]

  • A few meetings today, not as bad as usual
  • Lot of reading to do (catch up on ontology discussion, wireframe comments, Tech Req responses, and more!)
  • Sending out internal email to other product owners about potential impact of moving away from Filename usage on Commons

Keegan[edit]

  • Meeting with Amanda today to discuss
    • File titles, and potentially removing them
    • Structured licensing
  • Looking at wrapping up the Ontology conversation tomorrow. Will need a summary of findings to post with it.

Amanda[edit]

  • Final budget reconciliation for AP SDC
  • Reach out to affiliates about WMCon program planning sesh
  • Formalize code reviewer group for MCR
    • Add Cormac to MCR reviewer group
  • SDC microcontributions on mobile
    • Send Dmitry-Mark intro email
      • Mark notes: Red flag "translation" workflow; potentially steer off Wikipedia entry point, sort out what the plan is
  • Respond to file caption name thread (Sorry Keegan and Ramsey)

Cormac[edit]

  • Working on ML captions search patch (another version ready for review)
  • Gonna look at Mark's patch next
  • Also gotta look at/comment on stuff from Ramsey and Pam
  • DIgging into MCR and asking loads of questions of various people