Multimedia/Standup notes/2017/September

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search

2017-09-04[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • 3D working on beta
  • Prepped update

Max[edit]

  • Work with Cormac on onboarding docs
  • Other non multimedia stuff

Cormac[edit]

  • Poking around bug, trying to understand the JS
  • Talk with some people on chat

Ramsey[edit]

  • Discuss 1st feature
  • Work on roadmap
  • Discuss/figure out how to structure SDC team

2017-09-05[edit]

Adam[edit]

  • Not attending
  • Took first look at InVision mock from Nirzar. Will take another look and provide input so he can post to Phabricator.

Matthias[edit]

  • Not much; reading Commons

Mark[edit]

  • Long weekend is long
  • Today: Checking in on 3D work progress, then onward to more backlog checking

Cormac[edit]

  • Getting acquainted with our JS

Ramsey[edit]

  • Come up with user stories
  • Talked to DanielK - MCR needs couple more months of work - DB deployment ~6 months?

Amanda[edit]

  • Syncing with other SDC teams
  • Working on community stuff with Sandra
  • Does anyone need anything?

Anthony[edit]

  • Nothing new WRT multimedia


2017-09-06[edit]

Adam[edit]

  • Patent waiver/weapon stuff

Amanda[edit]

  • Worked on Q2 goals & community outreach
  • Follow up on both of those things
  • Working with Ramsey on putting document together about 1st feature

Chris[edit]

Cormac[edit]

  • Hacking with JS

Mark[edit]

  • Some review on 3D stuff, could help further but AFAIK Matthias is on it
  • Finally going to get 'round to moving some stuff around on Phabricator today
  • Something something SDoC

Matthias[edit]

  • Merged 3D (extension) wireframe patch
  • Re"deployed" 3d2png to beta, to include wireframe patch (it's now on latest master)
  • Need to figure out why no thumbnails are shown during upload of 3D file (in UW) on beta, but they are on my Vagrant

Ramsey[edit]

  • Trying to figure out if we're going to work on Wikibase

2017-09-07[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Fixed ?debug=true upper/lower case issue
  • Looking into why thumbs won't load for stashed files

Mark[edit]

  • Continuing my quest to fix our boards
  • Stress test done on Beta Commons, went well, waiting on Performance sign-off because of surprising imagescaler loads

Ramsey[edit]

  • 3D design - got stuck on legal aspect; waiting to process Zhou's feedback
  • Meeting about general SDoC stuff
    • went through user stories & what to do for 1st feature
  • Reaching out to community for <missed this>
  • MediaInfo - we need more detail on what can be done, waiting for list of such things
  • Work on SDoC roadmap

Cormac[edit]

  • Reading through Debugging Teams
  • JS exploration

2017-09-11[edit]

Adam[edit]

  • Not attending backlog meeting
  • E-mail about partnerships (CC Ramsey)

Max[edit]

  • Cormac onboarding
  • Backlog grooming
  • Will schedule retros

Amanda[edit]

  • Email about user stories
  • Go over roadmap
  • Help JMo & search team
  • Help Sandra & GLAM outreach

2017-09-12[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Provisioned vagrant (ULS) - yes, that is an accomplishment worth calling out!
  • Looking into missing thumbnail for previous file revisions (looks like that is no longer an issue, but there may be a related issue)

Ramsey[edit]

  • Documentation for SDC - user stories, roadmap
  • Phabricator research
  • Search improvements coming down the pipe
  • CL outreach for SDC
  • WikiCon - "angry pitchforks" - excitement about SDC

Cormac[edit]

  • Finished Debugging Teams
  • Working on UW/ULS patch

Mark[edit]

  • Have a bunch of review to get to today, probably won't accomplish much else

2017-09-13[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Did some of the code review, but some more to go.
  • Reading through MP3 discussion
  • Set up meetings for Nov/Dec

Ramsey[edit]

  • Roadmap
  • Phabricator hygiene continues
  • Looking through history of feature dev on Commons
  • Response from Lydia re: MediaInfo
    • First two blockers are in feature document, will send email to team

Cormac[edit]

  • Unit test thoughts
  • Got comments on UW patch - working on those

Amanda[edit]

  • Reviewed Ramsey's rough draft roadmap
  • Responded to user stories
  • Figured out search Q2 goals
  • Ben & Sandra re: GLAM outreach
  • Search effectiveness definition meeting
  • Roles/responsibilities with various stakeholders

2017-09-14[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Code review didn't get done yesterday - will delve in today
  • Retrospective should be good, that's next up
  • Possibly some work on Cormac's patch - will see where it is
  • Talked with Adam about priorities and stuff, feeling much clearer on that

Matthias[edit]

  • 3d2png puppet patch being merged right now
  • Looking into double uploads issue

Cormac[edit]

  • Comments on last patchset, made changes, investigating
  • Will talk to Amir about ULS in forms...no tab support
  • Fixed unit tests!

Max[edit]

  • Retro prep
    • Won't have Nirzar, maybe Amanda, maybe Adam
    • v excite
      • v

Anthony[edit]

  • Mess with Nirzar's demo

Ramsey[edit]

  • Sent out first batch of mails about user stories
    • Good feedback! Hence, new user stories. Rinse, repeat
  • Goals planning going well
    • Roadmap gets less and less detailed as we try to scry more into the future
  • MP3 discussion - yay!
    • Concerns: Distraction? Blowback?
    • Thorough process will be necessary
  • Meetings related to 3D next week - partnerships etc.

2017-09-18[edit]

Chris[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Fixed up 3d2png puppet patch
  • Fixed double-upload issue

Cormac[edit]

  • Catch up on SDoC
  • Fiddle around ULS patch

Ramsey[edit]

  • 3D
    • new designs (supposed to) com(e|ing) tomorrow
    • meetings with companies that produce/do 3D content
  • SDoC
    • roadmap & user stories
    • <something something analytics commons> (wasn't paying attention)
    • Q4 targets/planning
  • MP3
    • CL on board with MP3 launch
    • Figuring out how to deal with potential issues after enabling

Amanda[edit]

  • Responded to user stories
  • Need to review product roadmap
  • Working on roles & responsibilities
  • Need DBA response on MCR

Mark[edit]

  • Asking for 3d deploy window next week.
  • Reading a bunch of management stuff (thanks Adam)
  • Various process discussions per retrospective

2017-09-19[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • Won't make standup
  • Laptop won't boot anymore, new one expected 09-25; should have temp replacement tomorrow

Mark[edit]

  • Got 3D confirmation for the most part, will schedule deploy and deal with logistics
  • Looking into UW performance quickly, but IIRC it's already set for 500 uploads

Max[edit]

  • Set up Working Board
  • [PL] Should we go with Mark's suggestion for retro notes?
  • Alternated Prioritization and Grooming
    • [PL] Any issues with Grooming yesterday?

Cormac[edit]

  • Mostly struggling with JS
  • Thinking about doing a position paper for Dev Summit
  • Thinking about goals

Ramsey[edit]

  • 3D: supposed to be getting new designs from Nzr today
    • Different legal counsel to review
  • Meeting today to discuss 3D implementation
  • Yesterday spent some time on templates on Commons
    • Work to do with structured licenses
  • Roadmaps
  • For MP3 got new legal input on implementation of a copyright detection system
  • Ramsey has too many things
  • Cultural implementation meetings, missing next 2 standups
    • Cormac, too

2017-09-20[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Managed to finalize our deployment schedule next week - Wednesday at 7am SF time
  • Checked UW performance with 490 uploads...pretty slow but nothing terribly unexpected, asked for review of the situation
  • Today: Looking into MediaInfo extension a little bit

Matthias[edit]

Ramsey[edit]

  • I owe Mark a response on that Upload Limit test ticket. Will get to that later today
  • Met with a 3D company called Myminifactory yesterday. They have a project called Scan the World which seems like it could be a nice cooperation project with Commons. Working to see what kind of partnerships we can set up
  • Alex and I got deep into some user story feedback last night. Quite productive for our GLAM use cases.
  • Still working on Roadmap draft. Currently working on ideas for where SDoC could/should be a year from now.
  • Nirzar did work on 3D upload designs yesterday. I did a short design session with him over Hangout. He's a bit later than expected on delivery but it's coming soon.
  • still getting more info on our MP3 approach.
  • I have two meetings regarding Search today. Will report back if anything relevant.

Cormac[edit]

  • alternative implementation of ULS in UploadWizard done, but tabbing into the language selection field doesn't show ULS yet ... and it turns out the ULS doesn't support using the keyboard anyway. Following up with Amir

2017-09-21[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • +1ed the patch for 3d
  • More MediaInfo today, mostly just getting my bearings, then back into management reading

Cormac[edit]

  • updated ULS patchset
  • did goals
  • cultural orientation again today
  • next - make sure I'm up to date with SDoC docs, then choose another phab ticket

Ramsey[edit]

  • cultural orientation part 2 today
  • Worked with Nirzar yesterday on some onboarding stuff for Pam, our incoming designer. Will chat with team about scheduling meetup with her later.
  • meeting with another 3D file production company today
  • did more template research yesterday, may have some issues/tickets to re-surface for next task planning meeting.

Matthias[edit]

  • New laptop arrived, yay! Setting up
  • (Barely) started looking at MediaInfo
  • Reviewing Cormac's patch
  • 3d2png puppet should be going out now

Max[edit]

  • Ain't got much today, just being present to see if I can help

2017-09-25[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Attempting to ease into the week, will be trying to finish up a management book today
  • Checking the Phab boards to make sure stuff in CR gets pushed through

Ramsey[edit]

  • Designer starts today
  • Meeting with Chris re: MP3
  • SDoC roadmap getting done, pinging people to get them to comment
  • Task planning!!!11!1one
  • Met with company working on 3D stuff

Matthias[edit]

  • Need to review ULS patch
  • Checking out wikibase/MediaInfo

Chris[edit]

  • Talked to Commons admins about MP3

Cormac[edit]

  • Catching up on SDoC docs
  • CSS patch

Max[edit]

  • Help task planning meeting
  • Upload retro notes to wiki

2017-09-26[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • CR ULS patch
  • Checking out WikibaseMediaInfo

Ramsey[edit]

  • Working on roadmap
  • Getting feedback on user stories
  • Will share roadmap & user stories
  • Talked to Chris about MP3
  • Sending out 3D stuff to legal

Cormac[edit]

  • Processing ULS feedback
  • Looking at PD-Art UW issue

Mark[edit]

  • May be less helpful than usual for a bit, medical reasons
  • Need to make sure I have the correct directions for deploying 3D tomorrow (and that all blockers are cleared), Matthias do you feel like you have that knowledge?
  • Also continuing to read my management book (my loan from Adam expires in two days)

Amanda[edit]

  • Reviewing roadmap
  • Working on quarterly checkin deck
  • <missed something>

2017-09-27[edit]

Mark[edit]

  • Helping with 3D stuff this morning, zomg so excite
  • Chris: We now need your help with https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T168661 to unblock Commons deployment (he is in the loop now)
  • Ramsey: Are we moving on the UploadWizard changes for 3D now, or do the mocks need more input?
    • Waiting!
  • Remainder of day: MediaInfo exploration, possibly helping with some outreach for 3D
  • [PL] Did we solve the problem with ULS accessibility/tabbability?

Matthias[edit]

  • Deployed 3D to test & test2
  • Will review ULS patch tomorrow

Ramsey[edit]

  • We're going to wait for (legal) feedback on 3D/UW changes
  • Roadmap: schedule complete
  • Meetings about SDoC - talked about 1st feature (multilingual labels)
  • Meeting coming up for 3D upload stuff
  • Fleshing out PD-Art details
    • [PL] How do we translate messages for radio buttons for pd-art-XX

Cormac[edit]

  • Research on licenses
  • Updates ULS patch

Amanda[edit]

  • Went over rest of the roadmap, writing comments, can haz chat with Ramsey?
  • Making a deliverables table for the grant report, shouldn't have to bother y'all, but might
  • Writing a position paper for dev summit on how programs are a good link between infrastructure and impact

2017-09-28[edit]

Matthias[edit]

  • MMV patches to discourage reuse of some files got merged
  • Cleared out some old stuff on my gerrit dashboard
  • Looking at MediaInfo

Mark[edit]

  • Yesterday: Throughput was affected by various administrivia
  • Today: Probably more of the same, but continuing to work with MediaInfo

Ramsey[edit]

  • Looking at Commons licenses metrics - what licenses are being used, how frequently, etc.
  • Comments for user stories (ongoing)
  • Met with Pam!
    • Hasn't had time to meet with Nirzar
    • Gave high-level rundown
    • Will join standups in a week or two
  • Figuring out MP3 path...no response from partners yet
  • 3D design - approved by legal - need community input
  • Working on partnerships for 3D files

Amanda[edit]

  • Meetings, meetings, meetings
  • Blocking some things, need to churn out some work so they can move forward
  • Not blocked by anyone here!

Cormac[edit]

  • Programming some stuff
  • Unit test fixes (merged)
  • ULS patch update (Matthias +1'd)
  • Coursera course for algorithms and data structures (tomorrow)
  • Then, licensing for images of paintings

Anthony[edit]

  • Just checking in
  • Some time this week to work on 3D QA