Deployment of MediaWiki 1.20wmf1 to Wikimedia sites
Wikimedia sites will gradually be upgraded to version 1.20wmf1 of MediaWiki in April 2012.
The latest version (labeled "1.20wmf1") of MediaWiki, the software that powers Wikipedia and its sister sites, is currently being deployed to all Wikimedia sites in stages.
We started on April 10th and will continue until April 25th (see the roadmap).
From now on, we plan to deploy the latest software every two weeks. This is intended to minimize disruption and possible issues, and make it easier to identify the cause of problems, since the possibly problematic code will be much more recent.
This is a fairly small set of changes, compared to the previous deployments.
The biggest improvement you'll notice is the new diff style.
Other changes include:
- a new option on Special:PrefixIndex and Special:AllPages to hide redirects;
- a link at the top of the page to jump to the edit window when previewing changes;
- a page title labeled “Creating” instead of “Editing” when creating a page;
- a link to the relevant edit in e-mail notifications of changes to a watched page;
- better integration (in diffs and preload) of the default message when customizing an interface message in the MediaWiki namespace.
Developers have also improved the software "under the hood" in many ways. A more detailed list of changes is available, as well as the full list in the draft release notes.
If you encounter issues
If, despite our efforts, you encounter issues due to the upgrade; we'll try and fix them as soon as we can. Please report issues in our bug tracker, which is where we look for reports of problems. And the faster you tell us about problems, the faster we can address them.