The bogus-image-options error is when an image is detected to use a non-existent option. For example in the code
foo" and "
bar" are bogus options, and "
baz" shows up as the caption.
Help:Images has details on the supported image options, including a few notes about the quirky behavior of some of the parameters.
Known bugs in the Linter bogus file options detection include, but are not limited to:
- Parent task: task T274382 - Make File syntax processing match the specification and documentation
- task T335538 - Valid caption "thumb" in italics falsely detected as Linter bogus image option
In addition some other supported file options such as video and multi-page formats (e.g. pdf) are also checked.
Common errors include:
- Repeated options, e.g.
- Conflicting alignment options, e.g.
- Conflicting border/frame/thumb options (not reported as a Linter error; see phab link above), e.g.
[[File:Example.jpg|thumb|right|150px]](always remove the "border" option)
- A manual line break in
|alt=or in the caption. (Remove the line break to fix the error.)
- Blank options, e.g.
- Two captions, e.g.
[[File:Example.jpg|thumb|right|Intended alt text|Caption text]]→
[[File:Example.jpg|thumb|right|alt=Intended alt text|Caption text]]
- A plain number instead of a px value, e.g.
- Typos in options, e.g.
- Use of
###px(any unlabeled pixel size) within
<gallery>...</gallery>tags. To fix, remove
thumb. Set pixel dimensions for the gallery using instructions at Help:Images.
- Use of a
frame(remove the px value to fix the error).
The following tools can help fix bogus image options:
- WPCleaner: see instructions on how to use WPCleaner for fixing errors detected by Linter. Bogus image options may be reported by WPCleaner as part of CheckWiki error #534.