Extension:Word2MediaWikiPlus/old documentation page
This page is for the user documentation for the Word2MediaWikiPlus-Converter. It is far from being complete. As this is a wiki, you are invited to add some text yourself.
The Word2MediaWikiPlus-Converter is written in Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) and thus a word macro. The words macro and converter mean the same.
More information and download can be found on the project page.
This topic is covered on the project page: Extension:Word2MediaWikiPlus/old_project_page#Installation.
When you start the converter for the first time, you need to configure it according to your system.
Press the button: Configure Word2MediaWikiPlus on your symbol bar. Alternatively, you can run the macro (Alt+F8): Word2MediaWikiPlus_Config
- You can choose your language here. The language is needed for the image uploading function.
- If the language does not match the installation language of your wiki, image uploading may not function.
- If the language does not match your MS-Office language, image uploading with MS-Photo Editor will not function. HTML is fine.
- Most messages are hard coded with English, so you will not see much effect.
- You can help translating the macro: Translation.
- Image Path
- All images the converter extracts are stored here.
- Choose any directory or make a new one (if you use a non existing directory, it will be created automatically)
- URL wiki test system
- To open the pages in your wiki, the address must be put here.
- Just copy the complete URL of any article here and delete the article name
- It may look like this: http://scratchpad.wikia.com/index.php?title= or like this http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki depending if you use a short url or not.
- Use the "check searchpage" buttons to verify the correct address.
- Tab steps to filename
- This is important for the automatic image upload.
- Depending on your browser and your symbol bars the number varies.
- Firefox 2.0 now seems to need always 1, which makes it simple. Firefox 1.5 has some issues while uploading, does not work.
- Internet Explorer usually takes 2.
- Simulate upload to see if it works correctly. All fields in the upload dialog should get the right content.
- Image Upload Function
- use HTML
- old mode: use MS Photo Editor. Since this is somewhat difficult, it is no longer supported.
- Allow articles without category
- In my humble opinion, it is best to add at least one category to each article and to each category, so you get a hierarchical structure.
- If you mark this, empty categories in the Document converting dialog will result in no category at all.
Make sure the macro files are in your project NORMAL
- Save your Word-Document before you convert!
- The macro will not overwrite the original word file. But for safety reasons do not work with your original.
- Run the macro, a configuration dialog will appear.
And what might be the name of the macro we want to run??? I see 11 macros there and at least 10 of them are installed by mediawiki.
- If everything works out, the data will be in your clipboard: Just paste the text into your wiki editor.