Release status: experimental
|Implementation||Tag, User interface|
|Description||A user-friendly GUI for votes conducted on wiki pages.|
A MediaWiki extension to provide a user-friendly graphical user interface for votes conducted on wiki pages.
To add a vote to a page you just add the
<vote> tag as follows:
This extension then turns this tag into a web form with radio buttons
for the available options (approve, oppose and abstain) and a textarea
to attach a comment to the vote. When you submit the form, the extension
simply edits the page, inserting a new line before the closing
tag. By storing the votes in the page text all the changes are
conveniently and transparently tracked in the page history.
Additional features include:
- The votes are automatically tallied.
- You can change your vote by just submitting the form again (your last vote counts).
- An end date may be specified for the vote with the
endattribute e.g. with
<vote end=2022-10-15>the vote will close on the 15th October 2022 at 23:59 in the wiki timezone. After the deadline the web form to add new votes disappears.
- A vote may be cancelled by adding the
- Any line within the
<vote>tag that does not start with
*␣is skipped when tallying, so it is possible to reply to votes by editing the wikitext, e.g:
<vote> * 2022-10-14 12:28 Alice: NO I am concerned that ... : Some reply to Alice ... --~~~~ * 2022-10-14 12:30 Bob: YES I think that ... </vote>
Pages with open votes are by default tracked in the
Category:Pages with open votes category (which can be customized
How to reply to votes?
Replying to votes is currently only possible by editing the wikitext manually.
I am thinking about changing the vote format to be compatible with Convenient Discussions and the reply tool of Discussion Tools.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your
wfLoadExtension( 'Vote' );
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.