|Note: When you edit this page, you agree to release your contribution under the CC0. See Public Domain Help Pages for more info.
The VideoJS Player is the replacement video player for MediaWiki.
It is based on VideoJS, and has a more modern, faster user interface with compatibility for mobile devices and HTML5.
You can opt-in to use it on Wikimedia wikis as a desktop Beta Feature by going to your preferences.
- Subtitles may fail on some files. We dropped support for wikicode markup inside of the subtitles. You are advised to rewrite these subtitles (T224258).
- Video players in gallery modes like “packed”, “packed-hover” etc are not supported yet (T133500 and others).
The player that Wikimedia used since 2010 has several significant downsides, which were limiting us in making further improvements.
- Not widely used by others.
- Written before HTML5 video was standardised.
- Uses its own subtitling system.
- It is difficult to make it work correctly on mobile devices.
- Had been virtually unmaintained for 8 years.