The VideoJS Player is the replacement video player for MediaWiki. It will replace the legacy Kaltura Player for video and audio playback. It is based on VideoJS, and has a more modern, faster user interface with mobile and HTML 5 compatibility.
You can opt-in to use it on Wikimedia wikis as a desktop Beta Feature by going to your preferences.
- Subtitles may fail on some files. We dropped support for wikicode markup inside of the subtitles. You are advised to rewrite these subtitles. (T224258)
- Video players in gallery modes like packed, packed-hover etc are not supported yet (T133500 and others)
The player that Wikimedia was using from 2010 had several significant downsides, which were limiting us in making further improvements.
- Not widely used by others
- Written before HTML5 video was standardised
- Used its own subtitling system
- Was difficult to make work correctly on mobile
- Had been virtually unmaintained for 8 years