Release status: stable
|Implementation||User identity, Database|
|Description||Links MediaWiki's user table to phpBB's.|
|Latest version||3.3.0 (2017-02-01)|
|MediaWiki||1.27+ (works, but is incapable of displaying error messages)|
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
|Translate the PHPBB Auth extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
|Check usage and version matrix.|
The PHPBB_Auth extension links MediaWiki to phpBB's user table for authentication, and disallows the creation of new accounts in MediaWiki. Users must then log in to the wiki with their phpBB account.
The extension requires PHP5+, MySQL 5, or 7, MediaWiki 1.12+ and phpBB 3.2. If you need help, post an issue at Github.
- Download the extension from github
- Add the code below to the bottom of LocalSettings.php.
- Copy files from downloaded archive to directory extensions.
- Make a new phpBB group called Wiki. If you set
$wgPHPBB_UseWikiGroupto true, only users in the Wiki group can edit MediaWiki.
// PHPBB User Database Plugin. (Requires MySQL Database) require_once './extensions/Auth_phpbb.php'; $wgAuth_Config = array(); // Clean. $wgAuth_Config['UseCanonicalCase'] = true; // Setting this to true causes the mediawiki usernames // to match the casing of the phpbb ones (except with // the first letter set uppercase.) // Setting this to false causes usernames to be all // lowercase except for the first character. // Before June 2016 this setting was always false, // changing it to true on an install where it previously // was false will cause users with uppercase characters // to appear as separate users from their previous // all-lowercase account. $wgAuth_Config['WikiGroupName'] = 'Wiki'; // Name of your PHPBB group // users need to be a member // of to use the wiki. (i.e. wiki) // This can also be set to an array // of group names to use more then // one. (ie. // $wgAuth_Config['WikiGroupName'] = 'Wiki'; // $wgAuth_Config['WikiGroupName'] = 'Wiki2'; // or // $wgAuth_Config['WikiGroupName'] = array('Wiki', 'Wiki2'); // ) $wgAuth_Config['UseWikiGroup'] = true; // This tells the Plugin to require // a user to be a member of the above // phpBB group. (ie. wiki) Setting // this to false will let any phpBB // user edit the wiki. $wgAuth_Config['UseExtDatabase'] = false; // This tells the plugin that the phpBB tables // are in a different database then the wiki. // The default settings is false. //$wgAuth_Config['MySQL_Host'] = 'localhost'; // phpBB MySQL Host Name. //$wgAuth_Config['MySQL_Username'] = 'username'; // phpBB MySQL Username. //$wgAuth_Config['MySQL_Password'] = 'password'; // phpBB MySQL Password. //$wgAuth_Config['MySQL_Database'] = 'database'; // phpBB MySQL Database Name. $wgAuth_Config['UserTB'] = 'phpbb3_users'; // Name of your PHPBB user table. (i.e. phpbb_users) $wgAuth_Config['GroupsTB'] = 'phpbb3_groups'; // Name of your PHPBB groups table. (i.e. phpbb_groups) $wgAuth_Config['User_GroupTB'] = 'phpbb3_user_group'; // Name of your PHPBB user_group table. (i.e. phpbb_user_group) $wgAuth_Config['PathToPHPBB'] = '../phpbb3/'; // Path from this file to your phpBB install. // Local $wgAuth_Config['LoginMessage'] = '<b>You need a phpBB account to login.</b><br /><a href="' . $wgAuth_Config['PathToPHPBB'] . 'ucp.php?mode=register">Click here to create an account.</a>'; // Localize this message. $wgAuth_Config['NoWikiError'] = 'You are not a member of the required phpBB group.'; // Localize this message. $wgAuth = new Auth_phpBB($wgAuth_Config); // Auth_phpBB Plugin.
Current version 3.3.0 requires AuthPlugin which is deprecated in versions > 1.26
MediaWiki does not follow the same user naming conventions as phpBB, so there may be problem if someone uses an invalid username. Although all MediaWiki usernames are valid in phpBB, some phpBB usernames are not valid in MediaWiki. For example, MediaWiki does not allow the '' bracket symbols.
The problem can be circumvented by installing a phpBB extension to restrict MediaWiki-incompatible characters in phpBB. The Restrict Username mod (beta) can do this.
Instead of installing the phpBB MOD, you can set Limit username chars to Alphanumeric only in the User registration settings of phpBB3.
Furthermore, watch out that MediaWiki doesn't allow the same phrase as password that you chose for your username. phpBB doesn't have a problem with password and username being the same phrase.
Problems with not sharing a database
Some users experience an error when phpBB and MediaWiki are in different databases, while other users have no problem doing so. It's possible that this may be related to non-English software, which is common to users reporting the error. For more information, see the php|uber.leet forums.
- Release 3.1.0 (Mar. 22, 2016)
- Update to MySQLi and php7
- Update iAuthPlugin.php
- Update Auth_phpbb.php
- Add User type check as per Community Contributions
- Release 3.0.3 (Jan. 1, 2008)
- Fixed a potential SQL injection security hole.
- Added support for multiple Wiki Groups.
- Release 3.0.2 (Dec. 28, 2007)
- Now works with and requires phpBB3.
- Now works with and requires MW 1.11.x
- Now requires PHP5.
- Uses phpBB3 username case folding methods.
- Uses phpass for password hashing.
- When the user is not in the "Wiki" group the user now sees a MediaWiki error that says so.
- When the user is not found in the phpBB user database they now see a MediaWiki error asking them to register.
- Added a link to phpBB's register page from the login screen.
- Plug-in now uses MediaWiki Hooks.
- Release 2.7
- Fixed a potential SQL injection security hole.
- Release 2.6
- Fixed a login bug where MW was displaying an error the first time a user logged into it.
- Now works with MW 9.2
- Release 2.5
- I made a change to the MySQL connection that might fix some of the issues people have been having .
- Release 2.4
- Better MySQL error reporting. More solid MySQL Query calls.
- Release 2.3
- phpBB usernames with an apostrophe in them will now work.
- Release 2.2
- Fixed a bug that was printing a SQL statment when called.
- Release 2.1
- Fixed a bug that was not letting preferences be saved.
- Release 2.0
- Works with MediaWiki 1.5.x
- Fixed the dup name issues. The 1.5 release of MediaWiki added a new function to check for the correct casing of a name before adding it to the wiki database.
- I test user names with a space in them and they seem to work fine too.
- Added support for phpBB and the wiki being on two different servers/databases.
- With the new release of MediaWiki 1.5, I was able to disable some template stuff.
- Release 1.9
- Now auto detects MySQL version and uses the correct query.
- Ver 1.9 will work on both MySQL 4.0.x and 4.1.x
- Release 1.7
- Added the code to allow the admin to disable the phpBB wiki group requirement.
- Release 1.5
- MediaWiki forces all usernames into a first letter uppercase the rest lower case. (gotroot becomes Gotroot) This is ok until you have a user who has an uppercase letter in the middle of their name. (RetroFit becomes Retrofit) This can cause a problem when trying to Auth with the phpBB user table. I do not have a fix for this. (FIXED)