Release status: stable
|Implementation||Special page, User identity, Database|
|Description||Allows to import users in bulk from a CSV file|
|Author(s)||Rouslan Zenetl, Yuriy Ilkiv|
|Latest version||1.5.3 (2015-09-16)|
Translate the ImportUsers extension if it is available at translatewiki.net
|Check usage and version matrix; code metrics|
|Open tasks · Report a bug|
The ImportUsers extension adds special page, "Special:ImportUsers", which can be used by bureaucrats (or other users who have the
import_users permission) to import users from a CSV file to MediaWiki's user database.
Import File Format
The CSV file in UTF-8 without BOM encoding consists of four or five columns, delimited with commas:
- real name
- user groups (optional; if the user is a member of more than one group, put each group in its own column in the CSV file - do not embed them with commas in one column)
Be sure the CSV file has the correct line feeds. Files with Macintosh line feeds will process only the first line.
user1,pass1,email@example.com,John Doe user2,pass2,firstname.lastname@example.org,Jane Doe,editor user3,pass3,email@example.com,Jonnie Doe,editor, staff
This extension will never create duplicate user accounts. Collision handling behavior is determined by the "Replace existing users" check box.
- What is account collision?
Two accounts are in collision (or are duplicates of each other) if their login names (user names) are equal.
- What can be done?
- When "Replace existing users" check box is clear (unchecked), ImportUsers extension will ignore records in the input file which are duplicates of existing accounts.
- When "Replace existing users" check box is checked, ImportUsers extension will update corresponding accounts with data from input file.
Note: MediaWiki tolerates duplicate email addresses. In other words, there may be multiple accounts connected to the same email address. This extension will not validate for duplicate email addresses.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
- Done - Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
- MediaWikiAuth is designed for "on demand" import of old accounts into a new wiki