This page is currently a draft.
More information and discussion about changes to this draft may be on the discussion page.
Release status: experimental
|Implementation||other (invalid type)|
|Description||Extension for the fixcopyright.wikimedia.org website.|
|Author(s)||Robert Vogel, Dejan Savuljesku & Hallo Welt!, GmbH.|
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
|Translate the EUCopyrightCampaign extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
|Check usage and version matrix.|
|Issues||Open tasks · Report a bug|
The EUCopyrightCampaign extension, in conjunction with the EUCopyrightCampaignSkin skin and SkinPerPage extension, was used on the fixcopyright wiki that used to be located at https://fixcopyright.wikimedia.org. It was used as a landing page to enable visitors to email their member of EU parliament. See #Lessons Learned below.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
wfLoadExtension( 'EUCopyrightCampaign' );
- Run the update script which will automatically create the necessary database tables that this extension needs.
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
The fixcopyright wiki has been retired, but the extension and skin are retained as an example of how to build a similar capability in the future. The extension and skin were built over a very short time span in preparation for a key vote. There were quite a few lessons learned in this process, but not enough time to incorporate feedback into the code. These lessons learned are captured below for the future.
- It would be good not to create a new wiki for each campaign but rather determine how to have a dedicated wiki that could be used for multiple campaigns.
- The split between the skin and the extension was awkward. More of the content, if not all, should be placed within the extension rather than the skin. (phab:T204237)
- Improve translation workflow for sites with rapid language update needs. (phab:T205003)
- The text of the email should be editable. (phab:T205001)
- Display the affiliation of members of EU parliament (MEPs). (phab:T204114)
- Should support more types of social media. (phab:T204053)
- Workflow discourages multiple emails. (phab:T204052)
- There may be an issue with sending email from Chrome. (phab:T204046)
- Hungarian names should be in Eastern name order. (phab:T204044)
- Use geoIP to select the country. (phab:T204021)
- Wrong translation for country names due to reusing nominative case. (phab:T203928)
- It is possible to skip step 1 by passing through country value through utm string. (phab:T203919)
- Some messages probably produce untranslatable sentences in some languages due to "lego messages". (phab:T203741)
- Unnecessary jargon in English text. (phab:T203740)
- Inconsistent style in messages (e.g. the usage of quotes). (phab:T203739)