Release status: stable
|Description||Prevents the creation of confusable usernames.|
|Author(s)||Brion Vibber (Brion VIBBERtalk)|
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
Translate the AntiSpoof extension if it is available at translatewiki.net
|Check usage and version matrix.|
|Open tasks · Report a bug|
The AntiSpoof extension is an extension for preventing confusable usernames from being created. It blocks the creation of accounts with mixed-script, confusing and similar usernames.
For example, if user John Doe is already registered, the extension will block attempts to register:
- Jοhn Doe ("ο" in Jοhn is Greek small letter omicron)
- John Dоe ("о" in Dоe is Cyrillic small letter O)
- Јohn Doe ("Ј" in Јohn is Cyrillic capital letter Je)
- John Đoe ("Đ" in Đoe is Latin capital letter D with stroke)
- Jóhn Doe ("ó" in Jóhn is Latin small letter O with acute)
- John Doe (there is a Zero-width space before Doe)
- Jøhn Doe ("ø" in Jøhn is Scandinavian oe)
- J0hn Doe ("0" is the number zero)
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
- Run the update script which will automatically create the necessary database tables that this extension needs.
- In case user accounts are stored in a shared database, add:
$wgSharedTables = 'spoofuser';
- Run the
batchAntiSpoof.phpscript from the command line to pre-populate the spoofuser table with your wiki's existing usernames.
- Done - Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
- To verify that it's working, try creating an account for username "Adm1n"; most wikis have an "Admin" account and so AntiSpoof should reject this lookalike username with a message like "The name Adm1n is too similar to the existing account: Admin".
- Extension:AntiSpoof/Equivalence sets (large page)
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|