Release status: stable
|Description||Prevents the creation of confusable usernames.|
|Author(s)||Brion Vibber (Brion VIBBERtalk)|
|License||GPL v2 or later|
Translate the AntiSpoof extension if possible
|Check usage and version matrix; code metrics|
|Bugs: list open list all report|
The AntiSpoof extension is an extension for preventing confusable usernames from being created. It blocks the creation of accounts with mixed-script, confusing and similar usernames.
For example, if user John Doe is already registered, the extension will block attempts to register:
- Jοhn Doe ("ο" in Jοhn is Greek small letter omicron),
- John Dоe ("о" in Dоe is Cyrillic small letter O),
- Јohn Doe ("Ј" in Јohn is Cyrillic capital letter Je),
- John Đoe ("Đ" in Đoe is Latin capital letter D with stroke),
- Jóhn Doe ("ó" in Jóhn is Latin small letter O with acute),
- John Doe (there is a Zero-width space before Doe),
- Jøhn Doe ("ø" in Jøhn is Scandinavian oe),
Download[edit | edit source]
You can download the extension directly from the MediaWiki source code repository (browse code). You can get:
- One of the extensions tags
Not all extensions have tags. Some extensions have tags for each release, in which case those tags have the same stability as the release. To download a tag
- Go to the tags list
- Click the name of the tag you want to download
- Click "snapshot"
- The latest version of one of the extensions branches
Each extension has a master branch containing the latest code (might be unstable). Extensions can have further branches as well.
- Go to the branches list
- Click the branch name
- Click "snapshot"
- A snapshot made during the release of a MediaWiki version.
This might be unstable and is not guaranteed to work with the associated MediaWiki version.
After you've got the code, save it into the extensions/AntiSpoof directory of your wiki.
If you are familiar with git and have shell access to your server, you can obtain the extension, with all its tags and branches, as follows:
cd extensions git clone
Installation[edit | edit source]
- Create a directory
- Extract the files to this
require_once( "$IP/extensions/AntiSpoof/AntiSpoof.php" );
- In case user accounts are stored in a shared database, add
$wgSharedTables = 'spoofuser';
- Add the required tables to the database; on the command line, enter:
- Run the batchAntiSpoof.php script from the command line to pre-populate the antispoof table with your wiki's existing usernames. Enter:
- The Special:Version of your wiki should show the extension is installed. To verify that it's working, try creating an account for username "Adm1n"; most wikis have an "Admin" account and so AntiSpoof should reject this lookalike username with a message like 'The name "Adm1n" is too similar to the existing account: Admin'.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Equivalence sets (large page)
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|
|Language:||English • 日本語 • русский|