Release status: stable
|Description||Prevents the creation of confusable usernames.|
|Author(s)||Brion Vibber (Brion VIBBERtalk)|
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
Translate the AntiSpoof extension if it is available at translatewiki.net
|Check usage and version matrix.|
|Open tasks · Report a bug|
The AntiSpoof extension is an extension for preventing confusable usernames from being created. It blocks the creation of accounts with mixed-script, confusing and similar usernames.
For example, if user John Doe is already registered, the extension will block attempts to register:
- Jοhn Doe ("ο" in Jοhn is Greek small letter omicron)
- John Dоe ("о" in Dоe is Cyrillic small letter O)
- Јohn Doe ("Ј" in Јohn is Cyrillic capital letter Je)
- John Đoe ("Đ" in Đoe is Latin capital letter D with stroke)
- Jóhn Doe ("ó" in Jóhn is Latin small letter O with acute)
- John Doe (there is a Zero-width space before Doe)
- Jøhn Doe ("ø" in Jøhn is Scandinavian oe)
- J0hn Doe ("0" is the number zero)
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
wfLoadExtension( 'AntiSpoof' );
- Run the update script which will automatically create the necessary database tables that this extension needs.
- In case user accounts are stored in a shared database, add:
$wgSharedTables = 'spoofuser';
- Run the
batchAntiSpoof.phpscript from the command line to pre-populate the spoofuser table with your wiki's existing usernames.
- Done - Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
To users running MediaWiki 1.24 or earlier:
The instructions above describe the new way of installing this extension using
wfLoadExtension() If you need to install this extension on these earlier versions (MediaWiki 1.24 and earlier), instead of
wfLoadExtension( 'AntiSpoof' );, you need to use:
- To verify that it's working, try creating an account for username "Adm1n"; most wikis have an "Admin" account and so AntiSpoof should reject this lookalike username with a message like "The name Adm1n is too similar to the existing account: Admin".
See also[edit source]
- Extension:AntiSpoof/Equivalence sets (large page)
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|