Epics and User Stories
Adrian, Diederik and I sat down and came up with a lightweight process to add more descriptive, higher level project descriptions to the backlog. We used the first release of UMAPI/UserMetrics to model how this actually worked in practice. We think this will be sufficient for a while but there are definitely some issues, particularly around tooling that we should review.
- Product Owner works with Stakeholders on Epics -- high level description of user value
- Product Owner breaks down Epics into User Stories -- a sprint level task that generates user value
- Development does very basic t-shirt sizing on the Epics (using the Stories to help)
- We ask our stakeholders to prioritize these epics based on the costing and the available bandwidth of the team
- We'll do this in the Planning meeting on a quarterly cadence initially
- Developers turn User Stories of prioritized epics into technical tasks and get things done
- Systems Non-functional requirements (SLAs, capacity, etc) defined on a system level
Mingle 'Feature' Cards correspond to a User Story
- But we have a hard time managing specific tasks
Strategies to deal with that:
- Make smaller cards
- Use Asana to manage tasks
- Check with dev team
As a grantmaker, I want to be able to create and query specific cohorts of users to measure activity to understand what the impact of my programs is.
User Story 1
I want to be able to [create|read|upload|delete] my own cohorts with the following parameters
User Story 2
I want to measure the following attributes
- Bytes Added
- Pages Created...
User Story 3
I want my output to be available in JSON format.
If we pivot the above process, we end up with these responsibilities:
- Create Epics with Stakeholders
- Prioritize Epics across Stakeholders
- Break down Epics into User Stories
- Cost and provide feedback to Product Owner/Stakeholders on Epics and User Stories
- Design and build software to provide the business value described in the Epics and User Stories
- Work 1:1 with Product Owner to create Epics and User Stories
- Participate in Stakeholder-wide prioritization sessions