Actionable cleanup templates
This page is currently a draft.
More information and discussion about changes to this draft may be on the discussion page.
This document outlines ideas for a new mobile web feature intended to make cleanup templates more actionable on mobile, in order to give new/casual mobile users an easier entry-point into contribution.
- As a potential editor, I want to know exactly what needs to be done to improve an article, so I don't have to spend a lot of time scrolling up and down to find what needs to be improved.
- As a new editor, I want to continue improving articles once I know how.
- Give potential and new editors a focused, simple task that measurably improves an article
- Turn cleanup templates from a passive reader experience (i.e., a warning or disclaimer) to a more active, engaging one for new and potential editors
- Give potential and new editors easy tasks
- Improve the quality of articles
- Reduce the cleanup backlog
- When I land on a page with an actionable cleanup template, I get a call to action at the top of the page asking me to improve the page
- Depending on the cleanup action needed and the wiki preferences, when I tap on the call to action, I am taken to the wikitext editor or VE
- After I save my edit, I get a message asking me if I want to improve another article with similar issues
- If I tap the message, I am taken to another article in the same cleanup category and can repeat the process
Potential mobile-friendly tasks
What: Articles that have references but no in-line citations.
How: [VE only] Get user to add in-line notes from existing references via the VE citation dialog
What: Articles that lack internal links.
How: [VE only] Get user to add links via the VE link inspector
VE or wikitext
What: Articles needing spelling, grammar, or other text formatting changes
How: Take user into editor for sections that need cleanup
- Test taking user directly into wikitext or VE editing vs. showing user a guided tour
- Test different kinds of actions (e.g., add links, copyedit, add reference)