Account creation user experience/Strings
These are the system message changes involved in improving the login and create account forms. In the switch to the new forms bug 46333 in Gerrit #Iac7771 and subsequent changes, the following message keys changed.
The earlier "ACUX" experiment involved other string changes, particularly from validation; for that, see /Experiment subpage.
Removed old messages
SpecialUserlogin.php messages removed
- userlogin -> either a specific 'createaccount' or 'login' in page heading and title
- userloginnocreate -> gone. It was previously "Log in" (to distinguish from "userlogin", which was "Log in / create account"). This is no longer necessary since the login page heading and title is now always login-only.
- gotaccount & gotaccountlink -> gone, we let the user login from the link in the top-right navigation
- nologin & nologinlink -> gone, login form has a fancy userlogin-joinproject 'Join [wiki]' message.
Userlogin template messages removed
- userlogin-resetlink -> userlogin-resetpassword-link (needs to be brief)
- yourname -> userlogin-yourname without colon (in both forms) (MessagesQqq said it's used in Preferences, but I don't see it)
Usercreate template messages removed
- yourpasswordagain -> userlogin-yourpasswordagain without colon (MessagesQqq said it's used in Preferences, but I don't see it)
- createaccountreason -> createacct-reason without colon
Changed but kept
Userlogin template messages changes
- remembermypassword -> userlogin-remembermypassword (and gone from createacct) BUT still in use in Special:ChangePassword
- mailmypassword -> gone, users are always sent to a form to recover password BUT still in use in Special:ResetPassword
- yourpassword -> userlogin-yourpassword (in both forms) BUT still in use in Preferences
Usercreate template message changes
- createaccount -> createacct-submit button (and message that appeared in h2) BUT still in use in the skin
- youremail -> createacct-emailrequired and createacct-emailoptional BUT still in use in Preferences
- yourrealname -> createacct-realname BUT still in use in Preferences
- new form eliminates the prefsectiontip div tip:
- prefs-help-email-required is redundant with the placeholder text
- Doesn't show the wordy prefs-help-email
- Doesn't show the wordy prefs-help-email-others
(These messages are still used by preferences.)
TODO remove the colon from yourdomainname.
TODO? have we tested securelogin-stick-https
TODO Could/should rename showCreateOrLoginLink and createOrLoginHref, since the only link shown is login's [Join wiki].