Engineering Community Manager, Wikimedia Foundation
"Hygiene is harder than heroics."
I'm Sumana Harihareswara, an employee of the Wikimedia Foundation working as Engineering Community Manager (was Volunteer Development Coordinator between May 2011 and April 2012). I nurture the software community that supports the Wikimedia movement; for a snapshot of my work, see this blog entry. My parents are from India and I was born in the US. I have a personal website. I live in New York City, USA.
My workI nurture the software community that supports Wikimedia technologies. I worked on several of Wikimedia Foundation's recent Dev Days or hackathons: mw:Berlin Hackathon 2011, New Orleans Hackathon, Mumbai Hackathon, and the January 2012 SF Hackathon. I was the administrator for UCOSP Spring 2012 and for Google Summer of Code 2011 and Summer of Code 2012. For more, please see my other user page and its subpages. (Until 24 September 2012 I just had one user account, Sumanah, for my personal and staff edits. I'm untangling and moving stuff around now but it'll take a little while. Sorry for the confusion.)
Disclaimer: Although I work for the Wikimedia Foundation, contributions under this account do not necessarily represent the actions or views of the Foundation unless expressly stated otherwise. For example, edits to articles or uploads of other media are done in my individual, personal capacity unless otherwise stated.
Useful pages/publicity leaflets:
- Ten things technically inclined volunteers can do to help Wikimedia projects.
- How to become a MediaWiki hacker.
- Tutorials in Wikimedia technology.
- chart of MediaWiki extensions that WMF deploys with open Normal-or-worse bugs
- List of Normal-or-worse open bugs on extensions WMF deploys
- The "please contribute to MediaWiki" flyer
- The "please work with us" flyer for students
- GSoC flyer
- Archived notes from my work team, the Engineering Community Team
- Etherpad from current ECT meetings