User talk:Sharihareswara (WMF)

From MediaWiki.org
Jump to: navigation, search

On sabbatical between Sept 27 2013 and January 2014. Instead of contacting me, please ask User:Qgil for help while I am away.

Need help[edit | edit source]

This is Priyanka Nag from Pune, India.I was interested in participating in the Outreach Program for Women Internship organized by GNOME. Since I am more interested in documentation, I chose to work on " Documenting noteworthy local templates, gadgets and styles in various projects". Since you were one of the signed-in mentors, I thought you could probably help me deciding what could be a good contribution to the project before the application is filled in. Priyanka Nag (talk)

Hi, Priyanka! For this particular project I suggest you contact Amir Aharoni, who is interested in mentoring that project. Thanks! Sharihareswara (WMF) (talk) 15:29, 19 November 2012 (UTC)

Hello[edit | edit source]

My name is Ketaki,from Pune (India). I came across the outreach program for Women.

However I do not have an engineering background, but I am really interested in the same.

I have completed my Masters(MBA) in management (Human resource & International Business) How do I apply???

Ketaki Pole (talk) 13:24, 16 November 2012 (UTC)

Hi, Ketaki Pole. Please read the Intro tasks section of the Outreach Program for Women page. Once you have decided on a project, talk to a mentor to get a small task, and complete it. This practical step will be the most important piece of your application. Sharihareswara (WMF) (talk) 13:33, 16 November 2012 (UTC)
I did go through the projects but all of them require programming and designing/ Software knowledge. I ain't Technical person.

Ketaki Pole (talk) 13:44, 16 November 2012 (UTC)

Ketaki Pole, I don't think you read that page very thoroughly. Please look again, especially at the Communications tasks. Sharihareswara (WMF) (talk) 13:46, 16 November 2012 (UTC)

Re Images in the wrong place[edit | edit source]

Sorry, I used the Commonist tool in the wrong place. Are you able to delete my images please? --Marcok (talk) 20:49, 26 September 2012 (UTC)

Thank you. --Marcok (talk) 20:56, 26 September 2012 (UTC)

Grace Hopper event[edit | edit source]

I have work obligations that day, so I don't think I can attend. Stop by DC and visit! Djembayz (talk) 02:31, 30 September 2012 (UTC)

Your user page[edit | edit source]

Hi Sumana! I've updated your user page to use the new User info template, both on this wiki and at Foundation wiki. If you don't like anything, feel free to edit or revert, it is your user page after all. ;-) The Helpful One 21:55, 2 October 2012 (UTC)

Requested note[edit | edit source]

Hello and thank you for all of your assistance!

You requested that I leave you a note here, so I figured I would just link to the relevant discussions:

You also asked me to look at [1], but I still can't figure out what it is supposed to mean. (I'm such a newbie). Once again, thank you for all your help. πr2 (tc) 04:13, 6 November 2012 (UTC)

FYI Bug 42170 Ref: Upcoming software changes: mr.wikipedia has overlays issues[edit | edit source]

Hi,

  • Ref: Upcoming software changes - please report any problems [1]
    • Editing articles on mr.wikipedia has overlays issues for anon users, makes text unreadable
    • Please refer Bug Bug 42170 at bugzila

Please do have a look at the same.

Greeting and Best wishes

Thanks and Regards

Mahitgar (talk) 17:23, 21 November 2012 (UTC)

  1. please report any problems
I've asked Andre Klapper to help you. Sharihareswara (WMF) (talk) 20:01, 21 November 2012 (UTC)

A thank-you test.[edit | edit source]

Example sunflower image
A little thank you...
for being yourself!.
hugs, Sumana.


Sharihareswara (WMF) (talk) 04:26, 29 November 2012 (UTC)

Extension shepherding[edit | edit source]

ashighlighting is not published anywhere. http://ascend4.org/index.php?title=Special:Version - Amgine (talk) 20:08, 9 December 2012 (UTC)

There is Extension:ASHighlight.--Qgil (talk) 20:55, 12 December 2012 (UTC)

Developer access[edit | edit source]

Hi! I want to ask why I failed to log in the Developer access. I have asked for a new password and it gave me a new password, but when I log in, it said: There was either an authentication database error or you are not allowed to update your external account. Chihonglee (talk) 11:56, 19 December 2012 (UTC)

I don't know! Please ask in our chat channel for instant help. Sharihareswara (WMF) (talk) 02:05, 20 December 2012 (UTC)

Updating Developers/Maintainers[edit | edit source]

Here you said to update the page about our addition and whatnot, but none of the extensions in question are such that might be considered 'key' or deployed by the WMF. Is there a more relevant place to list such things, or is this the sort of thing nobody cares about anyway? -— Isarra 08:19, 13 January 2013 (UTC)

Git/Gerrit access[edit | edit source]

Hi Sumana, sorry if you're busy, but did you notice my reply Thread:Extension talk:Score/Need help?/reply (6)? Thank you very much for all your effort!--GrafZahl (talk) 10:30, 2 February 2013 (UTC)

Question on IP access of registered editors[edit | edit source]

Hi. Please help with my doubts regarding the privacy issues in accessing the IP addresses of registered Wiki editors from the revision history of a page. Such a need may arise in the implementation of my IEG proposal. I have 2 doubts:

  1. If the tool is developed as a MediaWiki gadget, will it have access to the IPs of editors through MediaWiki APIs?
  2. If it is developed as a standalone application, is there a way of accessing the IPs of page editors without violating any privacy terms?

Though I have tried to address the privacy concerns here, your inputs on these will be valuable. Thanks.

Basil. 17:20, February 16, 2013 (UTC)

March Grants News[edit | edit source]

IEG key blue.png

Grants News
VOLUME 1 MARCH 2013 ISSUE 1

Eight projects have been awarded grants in this pilot round of the Individual Engagement Grants program. You can read more about them in our blog post. Many thanks to everyone who participated in this round! We look forward to seeing even more of your ideas and input in preparation for round 2, which begins on August 1st.

Grants News is brought to you by the Wikimedia Grantmaking Team. You can change your subscription to this update on the list.

Wikivoyage at wmflabs[edit | edit source]

Hi Sumana, I opened a request for help at wmflabs. Not sure it will get noticed. Basically, I'd like someone to install Extension:UniversalLanguageSelector on the wmflabs en.Wikivoyage test wiki for me and give me admin flag so that I can configure the extension. Maybe set up test versions of all the other language versions of Wikivoyage, too, or at least one other so I can test switching between it and en.Wikivoyage using the extension. I'm hoping to figure out a configuration that will let us use that extension as a way to switch among the 13 language versions of Wikivoyage. Could you give me help there, or let me know who can help me get this set up? Thanks! --Rogerhc (talk) 23:14, 11 April 2013 (UTC)

National guard[edit | edit source]

Let me know if I can be of any help contacting historian offices for your article on Sheryl E. Gordon.--TParis (talk) 16:08, 1 May 2013 (UTC)

W3Schools[edit | edit source]

In response to Talk:How to become a MediaWiki hacker#On learning PHP

Please do not promote W3Schools; they are perhaps the worst place in the world to learn PHP, as they provide tutorials and example code with significant security vulnerabilities, among many other issues. See, e.g., this example. Note that W3Schools is not affiliated with the W3C, it is a Norwegian company dedicated mostly to selling "certificates" of dubious veracity.--CoJaBo (talk) 16:19, 26 May 2013 (UTC)

Come celebrate IdeaLab’s (re)Launch![edit | edit source]

Idea Lab
Idea Lab

We’ve redesigned the Grants:IdeaLab to make awesome collaborators and shiny new ideas easier to find.
You’re invited to the (re)Launch party!

Come visit and create a profile, share or join an idea, and tell us what you think about the updates!

Hope to see you there! Sbouterse (WMF) (talk) 18:52, 11 July 2013 (UTC)

Reaching out to FLOSS projects[edit | edit source]

Hi. Re: this edit, there are a few pages on Meta-Wiki that seem to have been overlooked, most notably m:FLOSS-Exchange. :-) I crudely updated the goals page, but that whole blurb needs a rewrite. --MZMcBride (talk) 20:46, 12 July 2013 (UTC)

Activating Africa Panel[edit | edit source]

Dear Sharihareswara

You have put your name down as being interested in attending the the Activating Africa panel that will take place on the Sunday the 11 August in the Jockey Club Auditorium (just before the Closing Plenary). If you are working on a project related to Africa, please see the email below. If you are just interested to attend, then we look forward to seeing you there!

The idea behind the panel is to set out the need, see what is going on across the continent, and discuss what is possible in the immediate future. Here is the submission page to refresh your memory. There are two problems that this panel presents: One: there are too many stories that need to be told and discussed that make it difficult to give full representation of the landscape in 90 minutes; Two: given the costs involved, and the scholarship system, there are not enough people from Africa attending Wikimania to make sure everything is covered, and all the people, ideas, thoughts and realities heard.

With this in mind we want to shake expectations and make the Activating Africa panel a version of Pecha Kucha [www.pechakucha.org]. This means that 6 presenters present 20 slides, with 20 seconds per slide (this works out to just over 6 minutes per presentation with another 3 mins for questions for each presentation). The joy of this format is that we can ask people who are not at Wikimania to send through pre-recorded presentations (and, possibly, link up with them via skype to answer questions). Tech-willing, we will also investigate if there is a way we can make the whole session live. This format extends the conversation beyond just the people who managed to get scholarships to attend. As an extension of the panel, we will also create an Activating Africa website that allows for the conversation to extend beyond Wikimania, and back to Africa.

Here is the structure for the session:

  • 10 minute intro – setting the stage about why Africa needs Wikipedia, and especially why Wikipedia needs Africa.
  • 6 x 20 slide x 20 sec presentations of projects or wiki-relevant experience that have or are taking place across Africa.
  • 20 minutes debate on the future of engagement in Africa – this will include 2 minute (max.) presentations about projects that are planned or ideas for future projects.

If you wish to present a project you are working on that is based in or relevant to Africa, or an idea for the future, please can you submit your topic via this form:

The deadline for submissions is the 31st July. Speakers will be notified on the 2nd August. All cyber or remote presentations need to be sent to Isla [info@wikiafrica.net] by Friday, 9th August.

We look forward to recieving your submission if you are interested; and please do feel free to share your ideas, suggestions and thoughts on this with us. Also, be sure to send this out to as large a network as possible so that we can make sure Africa is truly represented. please do email Isla on info [at] wikiafrica dot net Islahaddow (talk) 12:06, 25 July 2013 (UTC)

Wikimania follow-up[edit | edit source]

Ahoy! I managed to re-reveal the page I asked to be updated at the Tool Labs session: Wikimedia Labs/Tool Labs/Needed Toolserver features. Wizardist (talk) 21:39, 13 August 2013 (UTC)

Wikimania followup[edit | edit source]

Hey, Sumana! Just letting you know I've started doing the tech report for the en-wiki Wikipedia Signpost, but doing that revealed a few issues with the tech reports themselves: It can be a bit difficult to figure out what things actually mean without a fair amount of research. For example, the section "Fonts added, improving language support" took about a hour (maybe a bit less), and I only knew to do the research because I had heard some of the context at Wikimania, and thus knew that adding fonts meant default script support for new languages.

I suppose I can see why the Signpost rejected the straight tech report, but, on the other hand, while I can make things friendlier for the Signpost, it seems more useful to fix the tech report itself. I added a couple notes to meta:Tech/News/2013/33 towards this end (and explained why on the talk page there; hopefully, this will help improve communication. =) Adam Cuerden (talk) 19:48, 19 August 2013 (UTC)

Re: TemplateData editor[edit | edit source]

Could you check it now and see if that's sufficient? Few reloads and/or cache clearing might be needed to see the change. Thank you for the suggestion :) Lazowik (talk) 10:51, 21 August 2013 (UTC)

Wikivoyage: Dynamic maps not showing anymore because no HTTPS certificate[edit | edit source]

Hello Sumana,

Wikivoyage uses dynamic maps a lot. For instance, all articles on the French Wikivoyage have a dynamic map. Server-side there are 2 techical parts:

  • PoiMap2, a PHP script that provides the icons/bubbles/infos/tracks to show on the map.
  • a tileserver (the user can choose between Mapquest, OSM, Cloudmade and a few others, maybe Wikimedia soon?).

Right now we are running PoiMap2 on this German server, which unfortunately does not offer HTTPS. Since August 21st (when Wikimedia switched to HTTPS), Firefox has stopped showing maps, because they are not on HTTPS.

As discussed here, apparently the solution would be to get an HTTPS certificate for maps.wikivoyage-ev.org . What do you think about it? Or maybe hosting PoiMap2 on Wikimedia Labs or some similar HTTPS server could be a solution? Cheers! Nicolas1981 (talk) 09:32, 6 September 2013 (UTC)

Hi, Nicolas1981! Thanks for letting me know about this. I asked Andre Klapper about this and he said he would contact the Operations team via their RT ticketing system to help with the certificate. However, you should really think about hosting this sort of thing within Wikimedia Labs to make things simpler! Would it be okay to continue this discussion perhaps on the wikitech-l Mailing list or in Bugzilla so more people can help? Thanks! Sharihareswara (WMF) (talk) 16:02, 6 September 2013 (UTC)
Reading the thread on https://de.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Benutzer_Diskussion:Mey2008#PoiMap2.2C_https_and_Firefox_23 it's unclear to me if getting a cert is the definite way to go, how much WMF folks could setting up SSL on maps.wikivoyage-ev.org, and if moving to Tool Labs, or waiting for bugzilla:33980 to get fixed might make more sense. *If* there is agreement that a SSL cert is wanted for maps.wikivoyage-ev.org and if there is a plan who would set it up, anybody can create a request in the issue tracker of the WMF Operations team by simply sending an email to ops-requests@wikimedia.org. And now I'm going to copy this comment also to the discussion on the userpage. :) --AKlapper (WMF) (talk) 16:13, 6 September 2013 (UTC)
I really shouldn't comment before actually properly reading Sumana's comment first, garr. So yes, broader discussion definitely welcome, because I guess that there are similar problems with other "external" services that we don't know of yet. --AKlapper (WMF) (talk) 16:31, 6 September 2013 (UTC)
So, I ported PoiMap2 to Labs, and... Labs does not support HTTPS :-( Nicolas1981 (talk) 06:33, 12 September 2013 (UTC)
Would it be okay to continue this discussion perhaps on the wikitech-l Mailing list or in Bugzilla so more people can help? Thanks! Sharihareswara (WMF) (talk) 19:11, 14 September 2013 (UTC)